VOGONS

First post, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I bought another 486 board on ebay (apparently I'm really bad at buying AT boards on ebay as I never seem to get one that works properly)
and from pictures and even first look it looked fine and it also even POST which was good except there was an error about the keyboard interface
and that the keyboard didnt work.

So having a closer look under the AMI key IC I see that there is some green battery damage 🙁
a few contacts in the AMI key IC socket are green as well as basically all of the contacts in the left IC underneath the AMIKEY
323032K SN7407N

So I guess my question is can I just cleanup the contacts with vinegar and then letting the board dry (fairly sunny outside today) or am I likely to have to replace the battery damaged IC.

It is my own fault for not picking a board that was known tested good but sigh other then that the board looks fine, I presume the previous owner cleaned the battery damage they could see although one of the tracks on the pcb looks like it might have been damaged but it did POST but I'll worry about the immediate concern of the keyboard not working first.

Reply 1 of 15, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do the keyboard LEDs light up briefly when powering up the motherboard? If not, check the keyboard fuse near the DIN connector (might look like a resistor instead of a fuse).

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 8 of 15, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that is what i was thinking, I went to two places and they had the normal isocol which is apparently only 64% and they didn't have better so hopefully I will go elsewhere and get 99%+ instead.

Or grab something like this from ebay

Reply 9 of 15, by Gigaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually use zippo type lighter fluid to clean misc stuff off boards and contacts and then use alcohol(regular rubbing is fine) to finish cleaning. If its hard to remove alcohol alone doesn't usually do the trick. I used to repair xbox 360's and it works well on corrosion and even thermal paste but won't harm board, plastic or metal bits.

Reply 10 of 15, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vinegar is a good idea, as the electrolyte in these batteries is alkaline. The weak acid will neutralize whatever alkaline is left, and residual acetic acid from the vinegar is light enough to evaporate. Then yes, non-polar solvent (zippo fluid == naptha ) from the hardware store to remove the green stuff, and a final rinse in denatured alcohol or 97-99% isopropanol. If the traces are OK, this should get your board into good condition.

It's going to be hard to clean that chip inside the socket though. You might have to desolder the chip and socket to give the board a really good cleaning. And there's still no guarantee that the traces haven't been damaged. Good luck!

Reply 11 of 15, by Gigaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless you are confident about de-soldering do that as a last resort. More bad than good can easily come of it. Especially with potentially damaged holes/pads/traces.

Even if I planned on desoldering to investigate in such cases I find better results by fluxing and heavily re-soldering it first.
Flux the hell out of it and just "re-solder" it as it sits after cleaning.Lots of flux will help prevent bridges and use a de soldering wick and magnifier to make sure none of the pins are bridged. I've found doing that can sometimes fix dodgy traces as the flux and solder will wick into damaged area and fix then holes,pads, or traces.
Just my 2 cents take it for what its worh

Reply 12 of 15, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that some motherboards are just be picky by using some brands of keyboards.. Trying a other keyboard could solve the problem.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 13 of 15, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think desoldering that IC might be beyond me as the solder points are very small but I can probably reheat them and cool them easily enough without making a mess.
Using just 100% isopropyl alcohol didn't really work for me, the green stuff just seemed to stay there.
Vinegar seemed to work ok though for removing green stuff. I think I removed most of it but I'll let it sit and get completely dry before trying anything with it.

Reply 14 of 15, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i cleaned up a bit more and noticed that there is not connectivity between the bottom of the board and the leg of the AMIKEY for every leg.
so I'm guessing some of the legs don't have good contact and so that is why the keyboard is not working, but I'm not sure how much I can do without soldering a new socket onto the board.
I think this would be beyond my soldering abilities maybe or maybe not, not sure Id rather find an easier solution to getting good contact then replacing the whole socket.

The real issue with replacing the socket would be resoldering the new socket and making sure not creating shorts with solder which is what would worry me.

Reply 15 of 15, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replacing the socket isnt very hard.. You only need to right tools for it.. Better go for a desoldergun.. And desolder every soldered point.. If you do it right, you can remove the old socket with ease..
Then put a new socket in with something under it so the socket cant fell out the board.. Then you only have to solder the corner spots.. Then remove that thing you placed under the board..
Then solder the other points and your finished.. Take your time for it, when you rush you maybe can damage the board.

~ At least it can do black and white~