VOGONS

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello.

Some friends of mine have purchased an HDMI cable to watch movies on TV. Everything worked well at the beginning but now there is no audio (image is okay). They are running Windows 7. Any ideas? I haven't used any HDMI cable ever so I don't know how it works.

Thanks.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

basically they should go to the audio control panel and make adjustments so that audio goes through the vga->hdmi route , their tv will be available as an output device along with the speakers

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I am not mistaken the hdmi icon (or whatever) appears grayed-out to them if I am not mistaken. Have to check that.

Thank you very much for the hints.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When it was working, were they using a separate cable for the audio? If so, they may need to employ a workaround for a bug in the nVidia drivers.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100906042110/htt … graphics-cards/

Reply 5 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am having a similar problem with a machine for my boss. HDMI audio seems to occasionally fail when the computer wakes from sleep. It might be driver related. This is a Radeon and I have seen other people mention the same problem. A reboot gets it working again but that is not very convenient.

Last night I reverted the HDMI audio driver to the original in box Win7 version instead of whatever Catalyst version was installed. Maybe that will fix it. I hope so!

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be clear: I normally keep my computer connected to an ordinary monitor and switch over to my HDTV by disconnecting the cable. Usually this required restarting and/or futzing with the drivers in order to get sound to work correctly. However, I don't seem to have had any problems since I started leaving an analog display connected all the time to the other DVI port on my video card. It's weird.

Reply 7 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

When it was working, were they using a separate cable for the audio? If so, they may need to employ a workaround for a bug in the nVidia drivers.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100906042110/htt … graphics-cards/

No the same (single) cable was used.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to have issues with my PC losing the audio. I put up with it forever even after frequently updating the AMD drivers for the card. Eventually after a year or so it was fixed. (My "fix" before that was to unplug the cable from the tv and plug it back in).

Of course recently I plugged in a second monitor to my PC via DVI and the TV lost audio again so this time I said screw it and unplugged the secondary monitor. Been too busy to troubleshoot that issue but I'm sure it's the AMD HDMI audio driver.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline