VOGONS

Old CD-ROM Drives

Topic actions

First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My old CD drive, a Panasonic/Matushita 4X writer, recently started to die. It would intermittently lock up, causing the hard drive light to stay on solidly and wouldn't even eject. I replaced it with a Pioneer DVD burner I had lying around which worked fine but has that awful jet engine sound when spinning up.

I got hold of a 4x Pioneer drive (DR-UA124X) to replace it. This drive was made in 95, Japan made and is pretty hefty, definitely good quality mechanically. After cleaning the lens with some alcohol it reads CDs and CD-Rs fine and is nice and quiet.

However, the firmware on this drive is crap. It only works reliably in slave mode, returns garbage for its detection string and only works with Pioneer's ATAPI_CD.SYS, not the Oak ATAPI driver. It also doesn't work with Win9x's native ATAPI support.

Was this really the norm in the early days of ATAPI CD drives? Can anyone recommend another 4x ATAPI drive, or was SCSI still the way to go around this time?

Reply 2 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ true that. I use LG dvd-roms even on 386 builds, never failed me and they work fine with generic drivers.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I complain here a lot about my old 2X Sony CDU-33A with proprietary Sony interface. Not only was it a pain in the ass to get working with drivers, it made incredibly annoying sounds because rather than having an LED indicator light it had a two toned sliding transparent plastic indicator with some kind of actuator to move it from side to side. It's almost more annoying than the hair dryer sound of the CLV drives.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 25, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unless I'm confusing it with the CDU-31A, I recall the drive having a constantly green power LED that alternated to an orange activity light. Never had a problem with drivers for them, even worked in Windows NT 3.1 without a problem. It was a step above my old "pull out" style Mitsumi drive in that it had software eject.

The tray just popped open when you ejected a disk, you have to pull it the rest of the way open and manually push the tray in to close it. No motorized loading which I found odd for Sony given their experience with making tray loaded CD Players. For CD-ROMs, it was either the caddy or that popping tray with them in the early days.

Reply 7 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

Don't want a hairdryer in a machine used for old DOS games...

http://cdbq.dosforum.de/

you're welcome.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 25, by digitalhermit86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found the OEM optical drives from 1999-2002 era to be good to hang on too, they come in white or off-white, and are generally quiet and work with every system. My suggest is to go find some junk PC in the trash or thrift/recycling center and harvest it's optical drive(s).

Reply 9 of 25, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a NEC 4 speed in one of my machines and it's been the best 4 speed I've come across - reads burnt CD's and is totally quiet. It looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-4X-CD-ROM-Interna … =item564dbe85f9

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 25, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep quite a few old SCSI CDROM drivers and burners around for my vintage gear. I kind of like using original Panasonic or Sony interface drives on the old gear. It feels kind of weird using something modern with a 486 machine. I regret not buying the old Plextor 4x drives in bulk when they were being liquidated, or snagging a few extra Creative badged CDROM drives from the recycler. Tons of companies making optical drives (most of the best ones) have gone out of business.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 11 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to want a 12x, since they were still CLV (pretty quiet), but CDBQ posted by Keropi above lets you make quiet drives out of almost anything anyway. There is also a TEAC DOS IDE CDROM driver that has a speed feature.

Reply 12 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CDU-31A is a 1X drive, and the CDU-33A is a 2X drive. I guess they look identical.

Thanks for reminding me about the shitty spring loaded door. To this day it's still the only drive I've ever seen that used a spring rather than motorized gears.

My driver problems were mostly related to OS/2 2.0 and 3.0. I don't believe I was ever successful getting the drive going. I ended up having to do a floppy install, which is at least 30 disks. It also didn't seem to work with the 9X bootdisks out of the box.

I'm not sure if there were any mechanical differences between the 1X and 2X models, but I would decribe the indicator on the CDU 33A as being pretty noisy.

I've never used the popout mitsumi drive, but I always thought they looked pretty neat. I guess all proprietary interface drives are to be avoided though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 25, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of those Sony pop-out drives is in a Gateway2000 486 DX2/50 I have (non functional even after being re capped).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 15 of 25, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are averted by high level of noise, try finding fast yet quiet drives. I got myself a Plextor PX-130A DVD-ROM drive very cheap. It reads CD-R and CD-RW and I can't hear any noise.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 16 of 25, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other drive I use, and have in 2 retro machines, is this 52X Sony:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-CDU5211-52x-Inte … e-/110900791339

It looks good and is pretty quiet for a 52X, plus... it's a Sony.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 17 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

Don't want a hairdryer in a machine used for old DOS games...

That is no excuse 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov86vQ2tY9I

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Man, you've got a video for everything!

Getting there 😜

I thought why not make a video for the important topics. Then I can just link them and be done with typing.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel