VOGONS

Reply 40 of 53, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The lack of OPL3 might upset some, BUT one needs to realise that there are not that many games that have no MIDI support at all. Yes there are a few, but IMO all the "big titles" have MIDI support. So it's not such a big deal to be honest.

That is very much true, and the AWE64 Gold is a pretty nice card. I don't think the card's circuitry would be much more complex by adding a simple YMF-262. But i think their idea is that there is no need to support old standards anymore. They even state in the readme file there is no need for a wavetable connector because their AWE technology is good enough to replace it. I like the AWE sound in some games that's why i gave myself trouble of making the GUS, the AWE64 Gold and YMF card working together. I just can't get rid of the OPL3 sound because i actually enjoy FM synthesis, and the AWE fails to make me happy. Yeah most games will also support MT-32/CM-32L but some still sound very good on FM.

I could have also ditch the YMF for the SB Pro 2, but i do want a second MPU-401. The YMF card is gonna drive the LA synthesis modules and the AWE64 for the SC55 and MU80 GM synths. Then get everything on an external mixer. Sometimes its nice to play the same game with a different sound. Tyrian is one of those games where the OPL3 sounds so good that i fell sad in ditching it. Sometimes i can play it with AWE sound, Ultrasound, OPL3 and General MIDI. How about daisy chain the SC55 and the MU80 and listen to 2 at the same time? Or compare each one? I just love the variety! 😀

Reply 41 of 53, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought an inexpensive Casio keyboard for my Atari 1040ST back in the day for playing back midi music files or games that supported midi output and there were, surprisingly, quite a few games that would send the music to a connected synth. I actually still have that keyboard around here somewhere.

Reply 42 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

but i do want a second MPU-401.

You can just put the MIDI devices in serial witht the MIDI THRU port.

I have three devices hooked up this way. They all play at the same time and I have a simple 4-to-1 audio switch which then goes into a proper mixer.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 43 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that MT-32 is well known for being a great midi synth for DOS gaming, but has anyone ever used it as a synth module for making music with?

Reply 44 of 53, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or, an alternative setup, as I have previously mentioned a few times regarding the sound cards in my PII system:

1. AWE64 Gold - for AWE synthesis. A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620

2. SB16 CT1740 - contains true OPL3 chip - for FM music. A240 I7 D3 H6 P300

3. MusicQuest PC MIDI card (100% Roland MPU-401 compatible) - I2 P330 connected to:

4. CM-500 - For LA synthesis CM-32L/MT-32, and PCM SoundCanvas mode - Roland GS and GM modes.

For digital sounds, I use alternate cards whenever possible - if FM sounds with SB16, I use the digital from AWE64 Gold, and vice-versa.

Of course, setting up 2 Creative cards can be difficult for some. And then, there's the difficulty of obtaining a CM-500 nowadays.

If you have them all, and can successfully set them up without conflicts, you can enjoy a more complete, all-in-one sound system for games especially, and MIDI software.

As for the Sound Blaster Pro compatibility, the closest one I think is the card that uses the Vortex/Vortex 2 chip. - Diamond Monster Sound, etc. It's implementation is even better than Creative's own drivers for the emulation like those seen in Live! and Audigy. Surprisingly, the cards that offered proper SB Pro emulation are PCI-based cards.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 45 of 53, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
carlostex wrote:

but i do want a second MPU-401.

You can just put the MIDI devices in serial witht the MIDI THRU port.

I have three devices hooked up this way. They all play at the same time and I have a simple 4-to-1 audio switch which then goes into a proper mixer.

I used to do that in my old guitar rig, MIDI THRU is great for that. But i do want GM and LA on different ports. I still have to use MIDI THRU for the MU80 and the SC55 though.

It's fun to see how we all do our things differently. This community is awesome! 😎

Reply 46 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ why different ports for GM and LA?
Just use 330 for everything, get a Midi Thru device so that all modules get the same signal and with a simple mixer or on/off switch or sound selector choose what you want to hear , that way you have 100% compatibility with the 330/irq2 setting

this is how I have my current stuff connected:

2hh3l94.jpg

a midithru sharing the signal to the 3 devices, a sound selector to select which device audio-out goes to the mixer and the mixer on top to fine-tune SB and MIDI signals... still one port left on the thru to put there the mt-32 when it arrives

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 47 of 53, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eye of the Beholder 2 is an example of a game with an awesome FM soundtrack and no MIDI support.

While the AWE cards don't have real FM, they do have reverb/chorus so I think of it as a different sound rather than worse per se 😀

Reply 49 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

Eye of the Beholder 2 is an example of a game with an awesome FM soundtrack and no MIDI support.

While the AWE cards don't have real FM, they do have reverb/chorus so I think of it as a different sound rather than worse per se 😀

Yea it sounds quite nice when set to moderate levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYYdfyNA_U

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 50 of 53, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
^ why different ports for GM and LA? Just use 330 for everything, get a Midi Thru device so that all modules get the same signal […]
Show full quote

^ why different ports for GM and LA?
Just use 330 for everything, get a Midi Thru device so that all modules get the same signal and with a simple mixer or on/off switch or sound selector choose what you want to hear , that way you have 100% compatibility with the 330/irq2 setting

this is how I have my current stuff connected:

a midithru sharing the signal to the 3 devices, a sound selector to select which device audio-out goes to the mixer and the mixer on top to fine-tune SB and MIDI signals... still one port left on the thru to put there the mt-32 when it arrives

Now i like that setup. I thought about MIDI THRU device, but cables are cheaper. I looked for one like yours but i haven't found one yet. I am definitely gonna get a mixer. And if i get one of those MIDI THRU i might go for the SB Pro 2.

I'm still missing a CM-32L... That's gonna be a hard one to get...

Reply 51 of 53, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, these are really rare, especially in mint (internal) condition. Mine cost 170 USD + shipping (!). Ask me about LOOM, but not about my LAPC-I either 🙁

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."