VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

a friend donated me this 286/16 mobo, a SNB-M008 (on the back it is marked as an "YFL010991 rev.2.0" board) ... needless to say I can't find any info on it... 😕

th_20130912_142732_zps4d07b3a9.jpg
direct link: http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/restqp … zps4d07b3a9.jpg

I have some questions:

a. I need to use SIPP memory in pairs, correct?
b. what do you put in the 4 sockets marked as group A ? they have fewer pins than those next to them
c. do I need to fill all 8 sockets with DRAM chips in group B so the board boots? I tried with only 4 that I had available but I was getting 3xBeeps on boot and nothing more...

The plan is to solder pins on some 1MB 30pin SIMMS I have and use them, but I would like to at least know if the board is OK before I solder on the SIMMS... plus any info on that board is welcome! Maybe it's not a good one and not worth any trouble 😒
TIA!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 44, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a hint: It is easier to put some SIMM sockets into the SIPP sockets than soldering pins on SIMM modules.

Group A sockeds are supposed for parity memory (usually optional)
Group B sockets are intended for main memory (256k x 4 DRAM chips), four pieces (512 kB) should be sufficient to make it operational. Don't forget to set the jumpers accordingly.

Reply 2 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ thanks for the info!

Indeed I am trying with 512kb of ram ... but I can't get it to boot, I get 3xBeeps that repeat after some time... I assume you are referring to the jumper block next to the BIOS?

2l892tt.jpg

I tried both settings, having all jumpered to 1+2 or 2+3 , still the same behavior...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes... I even tried alternating sockets, or cross patterns etc... meh
I can easily solder some pins to a couple of simms and test, maybe the dram chips I use are not compatible or something

Reply 5 of 44, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the specs sheet, these are 256k modules - should work.
On the picture: you definitely filled both memory banks to half - each (smaller) parity chip belong to the two (high and low) memory socket IN THE SAME LINE.
I cannot judge which is BANK 0 and BANK 1 on this board, but you start with a chance of 50% 😀

In your shoes -even lacking the manual- for me it would be easier to figure it out as I have an amply stock of dram chips and SIPPS as well. Still the permutation game with the jumper settings is unavoidable. 😢

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2013-09-12, 14:03. Edited 2 times in total.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BastlerMike wrote:

Just a hint: It is easier to put some SIMM sockets into the SIPP sockets than soldering pins on SIMM modules.

Group A sockeds are supposed for parity memory (usually optional)
Group B sockets are intended for main memory (256k x 4 DRAM chips), four pieces (512 kB) should be sufficient to make it operational. Don't forget to set the jumpers accordingly.

And if you were looking to max out the memory on this board, high density SIMMs are a hell of a lot easier to find and cheaper than high density SIPPs.

My last 286 board I bought partly because it did have SIMM sockets instead of SIPP.

Reply 7 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@jolaes76

thanks for the tip~ will try tomorrow and report
I have 4x1MB simms, I suppose they will work in SIPP sockets, right? My 286 experience is 0 atm...

@siderider
yep, the plan is to use simms with pins once the modo fires up

Reply 8 of 44, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keropi,

your guess is right - the SIPP socket was just a cost-cutting move to spare with the gold (no connectors). Probably the socket was cheaper, too. Otherwise they are the same.Seated SIPPs are particularly sensitive to push from the sideways, take care. Also, inserting a SIPP the wrong way is MUCH easier than forcing a SIMM into the socket backwards...

Reply 9 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sadly I can't get it to boot with those 4 dram chips... will try with some simm converted to sipp and see how that goes

Reply 10 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it booted fine with "sipp" memory installed:

2diewyb.jpg

Apparently it's a "SNOBOL MINI" motherboard

and I get these 2 bios screens:

igzqmv.jpg

and the diags one:

2z7ex4w.jpg

What's the deal with this EMS option on the BIOS? (I have no real experience with anything lower than a 386sx...)

Reply 11 of 44, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The chipset supports EMS emulation (which is slower than the real EMS card but still much faster than simulated EMS)
You will need the chipset specific driver to make it work. The BIOS-specified potion of memory will then be unavailable for other uses (you will see the main memory reduced on bootup POST screen memory check)
With 1 MB main memory, you can safely make 64kb-96kb EMS on most chipsets so DUNE2 will be happy 😀 Your 2 megabytes are A-OK for a general 286 system.
But 4 megs are much better, of course, for a 20-25 mhz hot-rod.

http://ibm-pc.org/drivers/memory/memory.htm

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … g-in-a-286-BIOS

Last edited by Jolaes76 on 2013-09-13, 10:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for the info again Jolaes76 , I did install 4MB of ram... basically I invested some time, desoldered the simm sockets from a dead mobo and inserted them in the sipp sockets. So I just used normal 30pin simms, like BastlerMike suggested 😀
Will look on your links, hopefully I'll find a suitable driver

Reply 13 of 44, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just seen the date of the BIOS, 06/13/90. You might want to back it up as EPROMs often start losing their data after 20 years+. You'll probably need an EPROM burner to do it as I doubt there's software available like modern BIOSes to back it up.

Cheers!

Reply 14 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ good thinking, will back it up , I do have a willem programmer , thanks for the tip because once it's dead the mobo will be useless...

Reply 15 of 44, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CMOS part can be restored at boot from floppy or HDD by certain utilities. Date and time settings, of course, are lost and one gets CMOS checksum errors / battery errors at each boot but the previously saved settings are loaded from HDD or floppy and the computer is usable.

Reply 16 of 44, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. The pictures in this topic are no longer available but I think the motherboard which BIOS I need is either the same or very similar. Here is a picture of my dead motherboard:

IMG_8446.jpg
Filename
IMG_8446.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File comment
286 w/ GST Chipset
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The BIOS is either corrupted or which is less likely has data bits shuffled due to motherboard track routing. ISA bus has working clock and reset signals. That's all. No code is output to port 80 to the diagnostic card I used. Does anybody have BIOS for this or with the same chipset motherboard? Thanks.

Reply 17 of 44, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remove the barrel battery first.

Read the ROM with a Programmer and test your image in an emulator. Please upload here if it works
80286 BIOS image collection

Did you try the Supersoft diagnostic ROM? If this does not run, your board has another problem...

Reply 18 of 44, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great idea Predator99. Found this reference in Githubs and legeek.info MAME depository:
MAME Rom Update 0.213 to 0.214 includes \snomi286\gst_286.bin = "Snobol Mini 286 - BIOS-String: DGS2-1402-101090-K0
// Chipset: GST GOLD GS62C101 and GS62C102." That is the only good ref I can find for the BIOS so far...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 19 of 44, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Remove the barrel battery first. […]
Show full quote

Remove the barrel battery first.

Read the ROM with a Programmer and test your image in an emulator. Please upload here if it works
80286 BIOS image collection

Did you try the Supersoft diagnostic ROM? If this does not run, your board has another problem...

The battery is not an issue so far. I have already read it in a programmer in order to speculate that data bits might be flipped. If the bits are reordered, then the diagnostic ROM won't work too. I haven't heard about the AT diagnostic ROM but obviously I have missed it all these many years. Here is the dump of the current EPROM which does not alter with multiple readings.

Filename
286bios.zip
File size
46.7 KiB
Downloads
57 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception