VOGONS

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally I managed to find some time to check if my newly obtained Asus P3B-F motherboard works. I decided not to plug everything yet in case it doesn't. I only plugged in the HDD, gfx card, CPU, RAM and keyboard (no mouse yet because I only have usb mouse and I've lost my usb-to-ps2 adapter somewhere.)

I turned it on and got nothing on the screen. It was blank. I hit the reset button and only then did I hear the error beeps. One long and two short at first and after that, repeating short beeps. The CPU fan was running.

I googled the beep codes but had no luck so far. It says here: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm that the first code means video adapter error and repeated endless loop means memory error but what if the two are together?

The mobo has Award BIOS. Don't know the version but it's from 1998, if it's any help. Also, the motherboard is set to the Jumper Free mode and all the DIP switches are set to off (as it should be, according to the manual)

Does anyone know what these beeps mean?

Last edited by Yasashii on 2013-09-13, 02:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I take it you've already tried unplugging/reseating everything? Do you have another video card or alternative RAM to try? If not, are the beeps the same when you power it on without a video card but with the RAM installed? What error code do you get when you power it on with a video card but without RAM? Are the beeps the same when you power it on with neither plugged in?

Reply 2 of 4, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I already reseated everything and I tried different RAM and gfx with the same result.

Haven't tried powering it on without video card or RAM and it's too late to try that now. I've decided to try out a different mobo since I have several. It's a P3B-F as well only this one is rev. 1.04 while the one beeping was rev. 1.03. Hopefully this one will work better. Fingers crossed.

I will let you know how it goes. If I still have any beeps I will try what you've listed.

Reply 3 of 4, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, those suggestions were just to see if there was any variation if you didn't have anything else to test with. If the same components work with the 1.04 board then maybe the 1.03 is just hosed?

Reply 4 of 4, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It appears that there was indeed a problem and... the mobo was hosed as well.

I just installed the rev. 1.04 and got one long and three short beeps and silence after that which indicated gfx card problem. I swapped the gfx card and now it works!

With the 1.03 it wouldn't work with any gfx.

Thanks for taking interest anyway 😀