VOGONS

First post, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
i'm new here, and i guess i have to make an introduction thread later.
But for now i'm searchin for some informations about the Steinberg PC MIDI-1 interface.
Here's a picture:
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=535&g2_serialNumber=2
I recently bought it on eBay and thought this card might be intelligent mode compatible.
But now that i have the card here, i can't get anything out of it.
I tried different games and tried to install the card under Windows 3.11 with the drivers that came with the card.
When i try to install the drivers for windows, the PC just crashes and on many games it just crashes too or i have no MIDI data coming out to my MT-32.
The PC i'm using is configured as followed.

Motherboard: EPoX EP-51-MVP3E-M
CPU: Pentium 200MHz MMX
RAM: 128MB
AWE64 Gold (configured I/o to 300 that the ports don't mess with each other)
Software: Dos 6.22, Windows 3.11 fw

Now i have some questions.
Does anyone know this card?
Does it even work without drivers under DOS?
Is it possible that the card is broken? (My best guess at the moment because the driverinstallation crashes Windows)

That's it for now.
Thanking you in anticipation.

p.s.: It's Maulwurfs fault that i'm posting on this forum! 😀

My YouTube Channel

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well, in DOS you don't need any drivers, make sure that the card is set on port330/irq2 , connect the MT-32 (midi-OUT of the card to the midi-IN of mt-32) and see if a game like Monkey Island works (" monkey.exe r " to make it use roland)
You can even remove the AWE64 completely for the test... if it still does not work then there is a good chance this card is dead... 🙁
If you have the means try in another system too.

ps. I'll add this to Maulwurf's "vogons criminal record" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like i thought with the drivers.
The card is already set to io330/irq2 and of course my MT-32 is connected correctly 😉
I also tried the card without any other cards in the system (even in another system with an Baby-AT board)
And i tried different games like Gateway, Simon 1+2, Monkey 1+2.
But everything failed.
So i really guess the card is broken. 🙁
Bummer.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that's bad...
just one last thought, you are using an old AT psu right? (just asking in rare case this card needs -5v thas is standard in AT psus but not on ATX ones...)

Last edited by keropi on 2013-09-14, 13:13. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought such a card for 2 euros 3 yrs ago. Unfortunately, I do not have the software disk. Could you please send the driver to squallstrife to stock it up on vogonsdrivers ?
BTW, I put my card in a 486 DX4/100 and tried several games back then, but almost all of them sounded weird. Yes, the card could drive the MT-32 but somehow the instruments got mixed up. (Loom, Monkey Island 1, etc.) I tried to reset the MT-32 to no avail...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 10, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You still can get the Windows 3.11 drivers from Steinberg itself. Here's the FTP-Adress: ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Archives/Hardware/pcmidi1/PC/

My YouTube Channel

Reply 7 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe this card is a windows-only one, maybe it only works with a loaded driver... it can't be a coincidence that 2 cards don't really work....?

Reply 8 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Solarstorm,

thanks, I already had that driver. I hoped your original disk has other files, at least docs about MPU401 compatibility under DOS. Well, maybe the card was really intended as a win 3.1 device. I have never tried win 3.1 with it, I focused on DOS games only.

BTW, I suggest slowing down that P200 MMX by disabling L1 cache before you launch any of those oldies.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 9 of 10, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ther's nothing else on the disk.
@keropi: The problem is Jolaes got something out of the card i only got crashes. So i guess my card is really broken.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 10 of 10, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i recently almost threw out my Winman 4x4/s thinking that it was also broken,
but it turned out it was indeed an irq/dma/base address conflict

i guess your post is from last year so my response is somewhat useless
except if u take into account anyone else surfing into this thread for their own purposes

what solved my problem was a combination of
-using dos software config apps to properly set the IRQ + TEST availability of any plug n play cards
-properly setting up bios options for Plug n play, in particular i didnt understand what PIRQ was until i realized it was for the pci slots on my board
and they are shared eqs.. a combination of setting these settings.. and moving my network card to a different pci slot
and then my midi *IN* works..
-ensuring DHCP was set to off in windows for workgroups (somehow it caused problems.. i think win3.1 uses an older version of the protocol)

dont throw out your cards!!!!!! irq/dma/base conflicts can be a real bitch
but its really satisfying when u overcome them;)

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP