VOGONS

First post, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I stopped at a thrift store earlier to look at their baby clothes. I happened upon 2 motherboard boxes: one Asus AM3 board and an Intel P4 775 board. Well I figured the AM3 might make a decent purchase especially if it has a CPU or anything installed so I asked to see it. Noticed right away it wasn't the board belonging to the box but an AMD Dual Socket with CPUs and RAM installed. $20 so I take it. Decided to take a look at the other box and again not the matching board but a generic green mATX 810e. It also had a PCI USB card, 3Com 10/100 PCI NIC, and an ATi 9550XL AGP in the box even though it only has 3 PCI no AGP slots. It had a CPU installed but no RAM. All the CPUs had heatsinks on so I couldn't tell what they were so I decided to gamble on both. It was $20 too so I snagged them at $40 for the pair plus a bunch of clothes. Probably a bit much I was thinking on the 810e but what the heck it had the extras that really belonged with the other board and probably just got mixed up. And they both had their I/O shields and that's a big bonus with me.

Get home and start taking a better look. Turns out the AMD is an MSI K7D Master with 2 2800+ MPs and 2x1GB RDIMM ECC. Can't find any identifying markings on the 810e board so I'm guessing an OEM board but it does have a 1.2GHz Tualatin Celeron. Going to try to come across some SDRAM so maybe I can get a model number or something from BIOS to see what all it supports.

Haven't had time to do much else. It didn't look like any caps were bulging on either board. The MSI had quite a bit of dust on it and the thermal pads on the HSFs were incredibly dry and hard to get off. Hopefully I'll get some time in the next few days to finish cleaning up the board, reapply real thermal paste and take it for a test spin.

No idea what to use these for though. Been thinking about a Win98SE build for a few older games but I swapped my only CRT for a PVM for console RGB so I may have to track down another one. It was too big anyway at 21" and probably 60+lbs. I'm thinking a 17" Trinitron would be perfect match since I likely wouldn't be using 1600x1200 resolution in 98SE.

Any suggestions?

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 1 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the dual Athlon MP board wouldn't really be ideally suited for Win9x, as that had no support for SMP. But perhaps it would be cool as a Win NT4 workstation? Or perhaps OS/2 Warp, as that did indeed support SMP. The Celeron 1.2 might be nice for Win9x system though. It's fun to see how "modern" you can get a Win98se system, in terms for usability, web browsers, java and all that lot.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 2 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

omg! The MSI board is ~AWESOME~. It was the motherboard I had in my Voodoo5 - Quake 3 rig. It used to be, it would cost you $100 for a pair of 2800+'s but now, it seems that prices have really bottomed out. $20 is a GREAT price for that combo.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Athlon MP setup is as good as it gets for native 3.3v agp and 3DFX without any mods. For $20 you won't find anything better for a Long time!

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 7, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I got around to doing some limited testing and further research.

The MSI appears to be a K7D Master L since it has onboard Ethernet. The red PCB leads me to believe it's a later revision of the chipset that doesn't have the corrupted USB ports from the Southbridge. I haven't went looking through boxes to see if I still have an IDE hard drive so I simply tested it for POST and poked around in the BIOS. Only issues I've seen so far is the Northbridge chipset fan isn't working and seems to be seized, and one of the CPU fans isn't reporting RPM in BIOS.

I also picked up 2 sticks of 256MB SDRAM PC-100 for the 810e board. It also did POST just fine. It says it's an HP board during POST but I'm having trouble trying to identify it any further than that. BIOS version was 3.07 dated 09/07/01 and it looks like an mATX, or perhaps Flex ATX, motherboard with 3 PCI slots as the only expansion. There's some traces that look like they're for an AMR slot, and two set of traces marked for 16Mb DRAM on the side of the one of the PCI slots. Would those be for dedicated memory for the i752? I thought I read somewhere that it did have support for dedicated RAM though it seems most motherboards instead implemented it with shared RAM, which would be a shame since this BIOS only allows for 512Kb or 1Mb of sharing with it.There's traces for speaker, reset switch and something else that didn't have the pins so it is pretty stripped down. The CPU socket isn't right up next to the backplate like a similar looking board that HP used in at least some of their 810e systems of the era. Although I saw some references to an ASUS and that other motherboard's manufacture as the two HP used in some of the models at least. I guess I'll have to keep digging.

Besides that I'm still not sure what to use them for yet. If I can get the 810e board sorted I may very well try to see if 98SE or ME will work on it for some older games even if I do have to resort to a PCI graphics card. Not looking to play anything too demanding on it. Although I still think 440BX would be a more versatile chipset for that idea. The MSI board has drivers available from 95 to XP32 so it looks pretty versatile. And since the system wouldn't be on all the time I'm not too sure I would worry about the second CPU being idle in Win9x or I could just remove it all together. But the 2800+ might cause some issues in any speed sensitive game...oh the joys of retro gaming.

Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 5 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

take a picture ( a good one) of the HP board. HP bought most if not all of their motherboards from Asus, and in most cases, you could flash the asus bios over the HP one.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

take a picture ( a good one) of the HP board. HP bought most if not all of their motherboards from Asus, and in most cases, you could flash the asus bios over the HP one.

Would you happen to know what board the HP Pavilion A6000N is based on? I would love to flash an ASUS bios to mine.

Reply 7 of 7, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I did find out the model of the HP board. It's made by Trigem and HP calls it the FresnoCognac. It was used in Pavilion XT963 systems. So unfortunately no flashing of an ASUS BIOS. 🙁 It was probably a bust as far as something useful to use in the long term. Haven't came across anything else either. Few years ago I would almost always see late 90s or early 2000s systems at thrift stores even though I wasn't in the market for them. Guess that how it goes sometimes.