VOGONS

First post, by Captain Breakout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya all....

I thought that maybe there was an off-chance that someone else here who was a vintage sound card guru might have a groovy setup for playing these kind of tunes.

I was hoping to find something that combines the features of something like DWJukebox (dot com -a DOS mp3 player and skinnable jukebox) and Game Launcher (a versatile MAME and multi-emulator front-end) into a multi-vintage-soundcard player in DOS. Can't find anyone who's done this yet tho... but since I know there are people here besides myself who love their Gravis Ultrasounds, Sound Canvases, and OPL 2/3 SB's, that perhaps someone has set up something impressive to make use of these old music formats besides just running a player via a command-line.

There's pluggins for Winamp and VLC and the like that turn them into all-purpose uber-players, but it's difficult to take advantage of the real cards if one has them, and that's kinda the point of a good retro rig. Personally I'd like to create a front-end for all the myriad of music players for all these songs and cards and get something that looks nice and slick and fun to just click around and listen. If it hasn't been done yet, I don't know why it shouldn't be! If it has, I'd love to know about the project.

Anyone into something like this?

Reply 2 of 3, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was about to say Foobar2000, but then I realized that it had to be something that works on old platforms using actual vintage soundcards. 🤣 Real shame, because Foobar2000 is probably one of the best music players I've used in a long time, and it has a great plugin system too.

Reply 3 of 3, by Captain Breakout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cubic player is good, but what I'm really looking for is something like a front-end for Cubic plus other players that do things Cubic can't. It's fantastic for MODs and advanced formats like .IT, and usually use it with my GUS ACE. Can't remember if it supports OPL2 file types like RAD and HSC. On the down-side I don't think it works with the Roland card at all. On the up-side tho it seems to support lots of features of the Sound Blasters for MOD type music, although I think it's limited to emulating a GUS like leileilol said, so I don't think it's possible to use the AWE features or sound fonts for MIDI tunes via Cubic. But there are other programs that can.

Here's a list of music players that I use...

Open Cubic does a lot of things great, plays many formats including .IT files
Adplay adlib OPL2/3 format player
rdosplay another adlib OPL2/3 format player
AWEPLAY Midi for AWE, supports loading sound fonts
Midier 2.5 supports MIDI through original Sound Blasters via FM synth
MegaMID well-rounded Midi player for Roland and SBs
Midiplay plays Midi through PC speaker, sounds terrible, but fun just for kicks
PlayB very good but plain MPU-401 Midi player, supports GM and GS and aimed at Roland cards
Capamod great MOD, XM and S3M player for GUS, also has a TSR
Ultrasound Playmidi 5.12 Simple GUS MIDI player that uses its patch set with a neat graphics mode

... as you can see, these players all take advantage of different features of these old cards. I'm hoping to organize these into something that looks cool.