VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does some ones knows about the factory 5v hardwired on the socket 3 chaintech 4sld motherboard??

Is seems that this board could support 3 and 4 volts processors.. But mine doesnt havent the voltage regulator installed..

and a section that needed a jumper block, only have a soldered wire in it..

Its just the same board:

7rxy.jpg

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 7, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Soyo SY-25 board with a similar setup. The board has little jumper bridges permanently wiring the 5v setting and the VRM along with a decoupling cap is missing. Soyo must have saved about 5 cents making it that way, meanwhile other variants of the SY-25 have 3.3v support. I haven't tried added in the components to see if I could get 3.3v CPUs working, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just test the pins in the CPU socket to confirm they are running at 3.3v before installing one.

Reply 2 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that these boards are OEMS.. They did that to protect the system, to make it faster.. Otherwise customers could easy swap the processor for a faster one..
Customers didnt want to take the risk to damage the motherboard.. So when the system getting to slow, customers had to buy a newer system.. So manufactures can make a lot more profit.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 7, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same motherboard but with voltage regulator installed. It's Sharp PQ30RV21.

Last edited by stbunny on 2013-09-22, 15:40. Edited 2 times in total.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 5 of 7, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems to be ok but anyway check theirs datasheets.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"