Roland SCB-7 , thoughts?

Topic actions

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

a friend asked me for advice whether he gets an SCB-7 daughterboard or not for gaming needs. Obviously it's a GM-only card but is there anything special we should know? I believe its a nice GM card that will behave OK in doom/duke3d/gm games, am I correct? Or there will be limitations/bugs/whatever in playback?

TIA for any info! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 32, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my opinion it really depends. Will he get it cheap? If he is gonna drop 60€ on one i think it is much better to spend a little more on a SC55. If he can get it cheap it's another story though.

Reply 3 of 32, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find those DBs chronically overpriced for whatever reason. I guess they are more rare compared to modules and some people are into that.

As far as limitations go, well, we just recently figured that out at least for Duke3D/Doom, haven't we? Not saying that it's a huge deal though 😀

Reply 4 of 32, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an SC-7, which is the external module, but practically the same unit. It's basically almost as good as an SC-55, it totally lacks all the MT-32 samples which isn't really a big loss. Some games may sound a teeny tiny bit different, but I'd say you'd have to be an audiophile to truly notice.
I'm guessing the quirks that apply to every daughterboard apply to the SCB-7. If he finds a nice deal (I got the SC-7 for 50 euro a few years ago), I'd say go for it.

Reply 5 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

he got it , will borrow it for testing and report back 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a SC-7, but I sold it. Tbh I thought it didn't sound as good as my SC-55mkII. I say skip it and get a real SC55.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 32, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:
Artex wrote:

Or get a CM-500 and have all your bases covered. 😀

that thing is also at insane prices 😒

Just bagged one for $125 shipped!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ nice find!

got the SCB-7 for testing:

15x9u75.jpg

2vkatxt.jpg

It appears to be patched so the L/R channels are indeed Left and Right (IIRC)
At any rate, it's just great. Tried it with tilakat's GM driver updates for DOOM family/DN3D and it sounds 98% the same as my SC-55. You can't really tell the difference IMHO... so it's a great card, didn't expect it to be that good tbh!
It also keeps the same "levels" as the SC-55 , on yamaha synths for example you get louder/deeper drums that overlap other instruments, this one is the same as the SC-55 in that aspect (don't know how to describe this better). For me it sounds more correct than the yamaha ones....

Reply 11 of 32, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I had a SC-7, but I sold it. Tbh I thought it didn't sound as good as my SC-55mkII. I say skip it and get a real SC55.

Now, why didn't you tell me this when I bought it.... ? 🤣 🤣

Reply 12 of 32, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:
vetz wrote:

Now, why didn't you tell me this when I bought it.... ? 🤣 🤣

Finally you reveal yourself from the lurking shadows! I've been wondering to whom here on Vogons I sold it to 😜

Tbh, keropi is right, there are small differences, but they can only realistically be heard if you compare side by side.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a wavetable Sound Canvas as a teenager and once I got a SC-55 it sounded exactly like that to my ears and the world was ok again 😀

I had two of these NEC boards die on me so now I just use external devices. Got a Yamaha one as well 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 32, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well, I liked that SCB-7 so much that I got a boxed one and a MU10 from the same local source 😀
was also given 2 lpt mpu devices but I am unsure if they can be used outside production programs... will post pics later on the correct thread 😁

Reply 17 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Got a Yamaha one as well 😀

Which one?

A MU80.

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone managed to open the unit to look for a battery? Similar to the leaking battery in SC-55 thread.

I couldn't manage it...

My YouTube channel