VOGONS

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally managed to find time to actually put together (again) my main retro gaming pc which has enough juice to run Windows 98 Second Edition smoothly and a very nice Sound Blaster AWE64.

While it does work out of the box and it is properly detected by DOS games due to the driver being included in Windows 98 itself, it just works. I may be picky here and probably should be psyched that something in my house actually works for once but because I'm me, I want a control panel with that.

Back in the day I had DOS installed on this machine and then, I installed the drivers using this CD right here:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=9

I remember that I got a mixer panel with some cool options such as 3D audio. While I don't care much for the additional options, I do like having the option of having those options.

I would rather not use that CD though. It appears to have drivers for Windows 95 rather than 98 (check the folders inside) and while the driver itself would still probably work, I'd rather not overwrite the one that came with Win98 since it works so nicely and is probably more up-to-date.

So, my question is: is it possible to install whatever control panels and extra features I'd get if I installed the driver... without installing the driver?

Reply 2 of 2, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Won't it already be overwritten post-install?

Edit: After realizing that MIDI was way too low, I've decided to install whatever was on that CD. I think the installer actually realized that a driver was already in place since after installation all my audio volume settings remained untouched and Windows did not build the driver database. With all the cool stuff I got from that CD I also got separate panel for MIDI in which I was able to adjust the volume to a proper level.

So yeah... problem solved.