VOGONS

First post, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone!
Tomorrow I'll be receiving my new AT hardware from someone who is also a VOGONer, but I had a cosmetic problem. The LED MHz indicator in my AT case's front panel could show only up to 199MHz, but the hardware I'm receiving includes a PIII 750MHz (yes at an AT mobo!). So I thought I'd change it.

After some searching, I bought from ebay a common anode 3 digit LED 7segment display. I found out that the inputs were multiplexed, so if I wanted to show different numbers in each digit, I must configure the 1st digit, light it up, reconfigure the 2nd, light up the 2nd and so on, very fast. So I designed a circuit involving a Microchip's PIC microcontroller and some transistors/resistors, programmed it and here I am to show you the results!
Click at the pics please.

The circuit at prototyping stage. At the back is my hand made 0-30V 0-3A configurable voltage and current limit PSU 😉:
th_proj1_zps0a13001b.jpg

Soldered and testing:
th_proj2_zpsd7b1aecd.jpgth_proj4_zps66183d1b.jpg

Screwed in the case:
th_proj5_zps7afece9b.jpg

Before and after:
th_199_zpsa9a2ce34.jpgth_proj6_zps3cb88571.jpg

How it works
The microcontroller sets up and displays the 1st digit, lights it down, configures the 2nd and lights it etc... This procedure cycles 500 times per second for each digit, each digit lights up 2 milliseconds after the previous for ultra smooth result. The program is very small (literally only some I/O procedure takes place) and consumes about 3% of the available RAM and 2% of the available ROM of the PIC 16F688 I used.

Cost? I had the resistors, PCB, prototyping board, cables, soldering iron, PNP transistors and the PSU, so it cost me only the LED display (2 euros) and 1 day for research, prototyping and soldering.

Do you like it? 😀

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 1 of 24, by samaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fantastic project! Nice to see someone that can see a solution, not a problem. I want to have an indicator my self, but my case doesn't have it. Thought about doing something similar and just using one of the available CD-ROM slots and make a panel there.

Win7: Intel i7-4960X CPU, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, nVidia GeForce GTX780Ti x2, 16gb 1866MHz DDR3 RAM, 120gb SSD OS
Win98SE: AMD K6 200MHz CPU, aOpen motherboard, ATi 3D Rage II, Voodoo2 SLI, GUS MAX 1mb, SB AWE64 Gold, 256mb SDRAM, 20gb HDD

Reply 2 of 24, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

awesome!

What a cool idea.

Every case needs a MHz display 😀

How much did it cost to make?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 4 of 24, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
samaron wrote:

Fantastic project! Nice to see someone that can see a solution, not a problem. I want to have an indicator my self, but my case doesn't have it. Thought about doing something similar and just using one of the available CD-ROM slots and make a panel there.

Τhanks! 😊
Your case just needs some modification, nothing is impossible.

rgart wrote:
awesome! What a cool idea. Every case needs a MHz display :) How much did it cost to make? […]
Show full quote

awesome!
What a cool idea.
Every case needs a MHz display 😀
How much did it cost to make?

Cost included in 1st post, exactly 2 euros 😜

Joey_sw wrote:

can be this done for multi cores?
i always want to know what the M/GHz fluctuation for each core without have to switch task just to see it.

Oh I am mistaken. These panels, even the original ones, did NOT communicate somehow with the motherboard to indicate the real speed. They just had 1-2 presets configured, toggled by the turbo switch (if any).
The purpose of the microcontroller is to switch 500 times per second each digit so as to allow the display of the whole number as your eyes cannot keep it up. It just an illusion. When I was prototyping, I tried an 100-times-per-second-refresh-period, and you could just see the controller refreshing each digit trying to make the "illusion", it was too slow. But at 500 times per sec it butter-smooth.

BUT
Reading from a COM port the real MHz of the CPU, formatting it to be displayed and actually displaying it is possible but just too much trouble and extra cables inside the case for the same result. You just need a software to throw the actual MHz rate into the COM port.

Of course, here we talk for just a simple home made panel indicator and not such advanced stuff. Oh and there exist LCD 5.25" panels who read info from usb and display it, but we speak of 40-50 euro modern market products, which is also not the case here. 😀

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 8 of 24, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

Great one! Love the crafty engineer stuff.

Thank you very much!

JaNoZ wrote:

Very nicely build.
You should have build one with nixie tubes, that would be awesome.

Heh I'd wanted a spare 5.25" bezel and some voltage amplification to... say 180 volts then 🤣 Not so safe.
Thanks!

bristlehog wrote:

Great thing! Wish I had such skills.

Thank you! The "skill" is not something static, start developing it! 😉
You don't want to see my first tries in everything that required "skill"... 😊

Reply 10 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Auzner wrote:

Is the display dynamic with an input or were the segments manually lit?

As GeorgeMan already mentionned in this thread, they are set up and changed with a turbo switch.

GeorgeMan, is it possible to make it conventionnal way, with multiple T-shaped pin arrays and jumpers?

Reply 11 of 24, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the cheapo type of 2-3 digit 7 segment display that is being sold on ebay, nope. For jumper setting the display you need independent inputs for each digit, something that the pin assignments on these displays don't offer.
You can anyways combine 3 1digit 7 segment displays, but this would require much more effort on the soldering side and I wanted to make it a little smarter than that.

Do we have any software that can measure the mhz in real time and send this info in any format on the com port? If there is, I want to try to make a realtime display!

Reply 12 of 24, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bravo! Very cool project that would be almost impossible for me to do. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have LED MHz/GHz speed displays on every single one of my pc's. I wish they didn't stop making them.

Reply 13 of 24, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

As GeorgeMan already mentionned in this thread, they are set up and changed with a turbo switch.

Didn't notice the 2nd post since OP doesn't have an avatar and this forum has no prominence formatting.

GeorgeMan wrote:

With the cheapo type of 2-3 digit 7 segment display that is being sold on ebay, nope. For jumper setting the display you need independent inputs for each digit, something that the pin assignments on these displays don't offer.
You can anyways combine 3 1digit 7 segment displays, but this would require much more effort on the soldering side and I wanted to make it a little smarter than that.

There are multi-segment driver ICs that can do that. The module you use probably has a built in shift register.

As for real time cpu freq, this project blog does it with Java and outputs it to serial. Then an arduino takes in serial and drives a character LCD to display the data. The work could be adapted for 7-segments.
http://blog.workingsi.com/2013/07/lcd-system- … case-bling.html

Reply 14 of 24, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Excellent project 😀 Love that display.
Now why did case designers decide to stop putting MHz displays on their cases I wonder?
I'm hoping at some point in the future, to build a case with nixie lights as a MHz display, but that will have to be when my financial situation gets sorted.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 15 of 24, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

64bit, netburst, core, various extensions, gpu accelerated apps, bus changes, multi core, all made cpu frequency no longer the main indicator of performance. Cases stopped including it because there was no longer an external header to read it from. When multiplier and bus speed were manually set with jumpers I guess it was easier to externalize that information to a display. Look at it this way, when certain things you like are taken away, there are always ways to put it back (go backwards against current trends) and it keeps the hobby interesting as a more involved project like this thread. Like when all cases were only beige and you wanted a different color, you had to paint it, now you can just buy the color and material you'd like.

Reply 16 of 24, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Auzner wrote:

64bit, netburst, core, various extensions, gpu accelerated apps, bus changes, multi core, all made cpu frequency no longer the main indicator of performance. Cases stopped including it because there was no longer an external header to read it from. When multiplier and bus speed were manually set with jumpers I guess it was easier to externalize that information to a display. Look at it this way, when certain things you like are taken away, there are always ways to put it back (go backwards against current trends) and it keeps the hobby interesting as a more involved project like this thread. Like when all cases were only beige and you wanted a different color, you had to paint it, now you can just buy the color and material you'd like.

It was more of a rhetorical question 😉

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 17 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LunarG wrote:

🤣

Also there wasn't ever 'an external header to read it from', the readout of these displays were just set by myriad jumpers. I like them as much as the next man but I can understand why they fazed them out - they're just a gimmick and pain in the arse to set up.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18 of 24, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
LunarG wrote:

🤣

Also there wasn't ever 'an external header to read it from', the readout of these displays were just set by myriad jumpers. I like them as much as the next man but I can understand why they fazed them out - they're just a gimmick and pain in the arse to set up.

I know. I was not the one who mentioned "an external header to read it from" 😉

Reply 19 of 24, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a lot like the design I had in mind for my ancient full-tower case's display.

Key difference is that I was going to use an Atmel AVR (probably an ATTiny45) and a constant current serial shift register (like TLC5916).

Love your work! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread