VOGONS

First post, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd just got this Dell computer and I tried to uninstall xp. Now I'm in some sort of loop in which i cant uninstall and the uninstall process keeps on repeating itself. At the end of the install it says setup cannot create the folder \America Online 6.0\download\FlyerForMarch2. Setup cannot continue until this folder is created. I press enter and nothing happens. When I press F3 to exit setup it restarts the computer and the uninstall process starts all over again. I can't even install another OS because its stuck in that loop. I even put in the xp install disc and it continues in the loop so I can' t delete the partition. Any help will do. Thanks

Reply 1 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For starters, why exactly were you trying to "uninstall" XP? Standard procedure is generally just to format the whole partition – which you might have to do at this point anyway.

It might be worthwhile just trying to create the folder and see if that satisfies whatever is causing the problem. You should be able to boot a live Linux CD to access your hard drive and create the folder.

At the end of the install

Did you mean "uninstall" here?

Reply 2 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How are you "uninstalling" Windows XP?

Anyway, what OS are you trying to install and make permanent?

Either in XP or Win7 (or any other OS for that matter), you can use the setup to delete the partition of the hard disk and start all over again by creating new partition and install again.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 12, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes! I admit I made a mistake. I was trying to put an older Os on because the machine I was given didn't have the specs to run xp. I followed some instruction on the internet and see where it got me. If you can't help me thats ok because it might go to the local recycle bin anyway.

Reply 6 of 12, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried to use win 95 but it wont take my cd. Its still in the loop when I started up and yes I haven't really installed an OS before. The only time I did was when I used a windows 95 upgrade disc.

Reply 7 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
catchaserguns wrote:

I followed some instruction on the internet and see where it got me.

Why don't you show us what instructions you were trying to follow? I don't think anyone here has any idea what you are doing.

If you can't help me thats ok because it might go to the local recycle bin anyway.

Just REFORMAT THE DRIVE. There is no kind of "loop" that can possibly withstand a complete wipe (unless it's one of those rare, ancient laptops that stored BIOS settings on the drive).

catchaserguns wrote:

I've tried to use win 95 but it wont take my cd. Its still in the loop when I started up

This doesn't make sense. It sounds like your computer isn't booting off the CD at all. You need to set the correct boot order in the BIOS.

Reply 8 of 12, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To answer the first question I googled and watched a video on how to do it. My mistake was I couldn't get my computer on safe mode and I pressed F8 for safe mode. on the second comment you got to use the OS to reformat. You can't do it in bios. On the third comment somebody who had it before fooled with the bios settings. But Dont Worry! I'm having a friend work on it this time and he will try to fix it. He brought it to me in the first place.

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
catchaserguns wrote:

on the second comment you got to use the OS to reformat. You can't do it in bios.

I never said you could. But you don't need the OS: all you need is a bootable disk with a suitable format utility, and a means of booting from that disk. Period.

Reply 10 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Were there even versions of Win 95 CDs that were bootable? Might you not have to install and configure DOS first including CD-ROM drivers? At least your going to have to use a properly configured boot disk or USB stick or what have you.

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes there are bootable 95 CDs.

BUT, I want to see the specs of this machine. Run "dxdiag" and save the information to file. Post the file here.

Win95 is ancient and you can't do much productive with it. There may not even be driver support.

Reply 12 of 12, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good News! I got a friend to reformat the hard drive and we were able to put on Windows 98. My friend had to reconfigure the bios and got rid of the old OS. Some of you asked why get rid of the old OS. The reason is the HD and the memory were too small to have Windows XP. Also I needed a machine that could run more powerful games that couldn't work on XP even in compatibility mode. My laptop has only 32mb of ram and only 2mb video memory. So I needed a better machine. Thanks anyway. You guys are awesome.