VOGONS

First post, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tested a PC Chips M921 v1.1A mobo, UMC chipset with onboard IDE/floppy and PCI, with an AMD 486DX4-100, an S3 Trio64V+ 1MB PCI and 2x16MB EDO Ram and a new CR2032 battery. Eveything else is tested and works.

When I power it up, the keyboard lights blink for a second and nothing else happens. Tried configuration for AMD 486DX2/4, enhanced 486DX4 and Intel 486DX, FSB 25/33/40MHz and 3.3/4.0v CPU voltage. Nothing changes. Speaker doesn't beep at all, I only get the blinking.

The board itself is in very good condition, it just had some bent headers and 1-2 very small minor scratches.
What else may I try to bring it back to life?

I upload the manual and here is a photo of the mobo:
th_IMG_20130909_025429_zpsc2e43ccb.jpg

Alternative manual source: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/m921.htm

Attachments

• Filename
    m921.zip
    File size
    373.36 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 2 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd think it would beep if it was just a memory problem. Still, I guess it's worth a shot.

If that is unsuccessful, and you don't mind a bit of tedious work, I'd take a close look at the chipset... I've had several boards where the big QFP chips had some legs broken loose from the solder pads. I dunno if they got banged up in storage, or if the board was flexed enough to pop 'em loose, or what. In any case, the boards were non-responsive just like yours, but I was able to resurrect most of them after finding the broken joints and resoldering them. It's not something you can really see with the naked eye... you need a magnifying glass and a needle (or small screwdriver or whatever), and gently prod at the legs to see if any of them move.

Reply 3 of 6, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

You'd think it would beep if it was just a memory problem. Still, I guess it's worth a shot.

I have the same board, and I can confirm it does not beep on memory compatibility problems.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 6, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The link on the 1st post states that it supports EDO, so do some statements in old threads here about this UMC chipset.
But unfortunately I don't have FPM or other memory sticks, only these 🙁 So I guess I'm stuck for good.

I can also confirm that all legs are soldered properly. There is a scratch on 3-4 pins of one chip but they are just a little bent, not touching one another or anything else.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 5 of 6, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Try some other memory sticks. I'm not sure this board supports EDO btw, may need FPM.

My thoughts exactly. I tested quite some 486 boards and to my surprise none supported EDO ram.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 6, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alrighty then!
Will try again when I have the luck to obtain some FPM ram...

Anyone else to confirm that no 486 mobo supports EDO?

Oh and something that seems important: When I fired the system up, the CPU didn't even warm up a bit. I didn't install a cooler for the tests and tried leaving in on for 1-2 minutes, but even then it wasn't warm.
May this mean something?