VOGONS

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been reading up on the D-50 and how it's the first LA synth, one of my friends wanted to try getting one over eBay but I wondered, if one has a MT-32 hooked up to a MIDI program with a MIDI keyboard controller, would it *technically* be a "D-50" in this case?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 5, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the main thing that distinguished the MT-32 from Roland's other LA synths is that it couldn't save custom patches, thus it was intended more to be a sound module for computer games rather than a full-fledged performance synth.

Reply 2 of 5, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well a computer could save said patches as SysEx data to be sent to the MT-32, so I think that's covered even if it's a bit of a inconvenience. I'm just trying to save someone money though really so I just would want to know if the MT-32's audio quality is analogous to the D-50.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 5, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider is right... Hell my friend found one on eBay but the seller says that it's broken and does not work anymore, but still sells it for a pretty hefty price nonetheless though not as ridiculous as I've seen for actual working models.

From what I could tell from that one posting it's probably something that might be easily salvaged, but still I think for the purposes of my friend he might be better off experimenting with a MT-32 instead.

― Κυνικός Δράκων