VOGONS

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to take apart my old power supply recently, after finding it in a random bin of stuff, 🤣 and so far I've gotten a few great parts from it, namely a nice 120mm fan which I currently have rigged up in my 5 1/2inch bays as an extra intake, and some cables including a P4 auxiliary that I've been badly needing (makes me regret hacking up that other working one I had, oh well at least that power supply still works fine in the A64 box it came from 🤣). What else do you think could be salvaged from this? I have no idea what most of the ICs are, and as for the caps I've noticed that a few of the smaller ones have bulged pretty badly (probably explains why this thing started crapping out 😜).

I was almost thinking of maybe stuffing an entire computer inside the case, but what computer would fit in there? A Raspberry Pi? An Atom-based file server with an eSATA enclosure might be cool.

Or should I just bin this thing and not worry about it? I'm moving out and getting my own place some time soon, and I'm actually planning on getting rid of some of my random computer junk.

And yes, I am aware that disassembling PSUs is dangerous, yada yada. This thing was in storage for a few months, and I always power-cycle my systems whenever possible before I put them into storage or take them apart.

Reply 1 of 7, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a friend that has made some small guitar amps with psu cases. He used salvaged speakers from broken radios and placed them where the fans were; then added the input, circuitry, a 9v battery, etc. He also made some effect pedals in a similar fashion I think.

Reply 2 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno, I usually salvage only the fan, the fan grill (if it has one) and perhaps some cabling

I'm not handy with a soldering iron so after I salvage the fan and grill, I usually toss the rest.

fantasma wrote:

I have a friend that has made some small guitar amps with psu cases. He used salvaged speakers from broken radios and placed them where the fans were; then added the input, circuitry, a 9v battery, etc. He also made some effect pedals in a similar fashion I think.

That sounds almost like a work of art! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've made a few Y cables out of dead PSU wiring. And yeah taken a fan or two.

I also sometimes chop off the 12v aux connector. I've torched these connectors while overclocking before because sometimes they have a poor connection and overheat (melt/blacken). Nice to have a spare for your high-end PSU if you need it.

Reply 6 of 7, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dead/discarded PSU's yield lots of plunder. Cables and connectors, input filtering items (chokes, X-caps, Y-caps, MOVs), rectifier bridges, resistors, etc etc. Caps from an aged PSU should be watched with suspicion however, as they tend to degrade after much time and heat.

Any electronic gadget has potential goodies inside, here's part of the loot scavenged from a big old CRT monitor:

11351742.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 7 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those small threaded nuts and bolts are almost always the exact same size as any push pin that is used in chipset/gpu coolers. 6.3v, 10v, and 16v caps that are not blown can be very handy in re-cap projects.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.