VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not sure what this is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-CT1922-SBAWE … 0-/331033435920

From the crappy picture it doesn't appear to have external connectors. Useful perhaps? Claims it's NOS with multiples available.

I was able to find it on the forums. It is a EMU8000 add-on card to upgrade a SB16 to an AWE32, is that right? Anyways possibly someone needs one and I saw them on EBay.

Worth owning?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah it the card that connects to the "gold_finchr" pins on the supported SB16 models and upgrades them to AWE32...
can't remember anything else, I find all AWEs quite boring 😵 🤣

edit: here is more info: http://web.archive.org/web/20100106160133/htt … ter_ct19201.htm

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT1920 and 1922, otherwise known as the Goldfinch board. It works in conjunction with a SB16 to give AWE32 capability. A lot of people owned SB16 cards at the time the AWE32 was released so Creative made the Goldfinch board as a less expensive upgrade for existing customers who might not have otherwise upgraded to a full AWE32. That little upgrade board probably prevented a lot defections to other makers sound cards as the market was getting really competitive at that time.

Reply 3 of 8, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the goldfinch cards were mostly OEM upgrades sold by PC makers... they were never offered as retail because of the additional technical complexities involved in making them work... as such, they were only sold in a limited basis, tightly controlled by PC makers... they only sold the cards to people owning certain PCs sold by them, knowing they would be compatible with the OEM equipped SB16

for the retail market, the Wave Blaster II took on that job, it was a more elegant upgrade as it didn't take an additional ISA slot, but at the expense of horrible samples and no ability to add memory

Reply 4 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

the goldfinch cards were mostly OEM upgrades sold by PC makers... they were never offered as retail because of the additional technical complexities involved in making them work... as such, they were only sold in a limited basis, tightly controlled by PC makers... they only sold the cards to people owning certain PCs sold by them, knowing they would be compatible with the OEM equipped SB16

for the retail market, the Wave Blaster II took on that job, it was a more elegant upgrade as it didn't take an additional ISA slot, but at the expense of horrible samples and no ability to add memory

Thanks for the correction. I was told a long time ago that these were offered as upgrades. I have to go slap someone on the back of the head for telling me this.

Reply 5 of 8, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMAN wrote:

...for the retail market, the Wave Blaster II took on that job, it was a more elegant upgrade as it didn't take an additional ISA slot, but at the expense of horrible samples and no ability to add memory

I think you went a bit far with the conjecture. Where did Creative ever describe or advertise the Wave Blaster II as being an upgrade path to an AWE32?

Reply 7 of 8, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Now wait just a second, isn't the Wave Blaster II using the same EMU chip as the AWE32?

Yes, but it's not used or addressed in like manner. Adding a WBII to a SB16 does not an AWE32 make.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

back to topic:

Yes, the card is worth keeping around if you can get it cheap. It definitely gets you rid of the daughterboard bug. You are limited to a certain version of the CTCM and awe utils and will have full 32 voice polyphony. Keep an eye on Bristlehog's soundfont proggie...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."