VOGONS

First post, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello! I just bought two 486 motherboards with ram and CPU installed. They were cheap as it was obvious that the battery had leaked.
But I need help on identifying them please 😊 and a little advice on the corrosion problem they have.

So here we go! The first one:
486-1_zps7c150e08.jpg
corr1_zpsc51a3fe3.jpg

And the second:
486-2_zps800e9c18.jpg
corr2_zps9ae62a9f.jpg

On the first is seems that there is not so much corrosion, but the back of the board looks like a mess. The second seems to be much worse on the top.
What sould I do to clear them? I have read similar threads but I really don't recall the method.

When powering up both boards I get keyboard lights flash and beep-code "No vga installed", because I don't have an ISA vga!
Do you think they're worth my time? 😀

Please help!

PS: Hi res pics to help identification
mobo1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60581885/ … 1007_114440.jpg
mobo2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60581885/ … 1007_115427.jpg

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 1 of 9, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All 486's are worth the time 😀 Corrosion is easily cleaned off with Alcohol or Vinegar.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 2 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the first board, there's one trace to the left of L3 that looks a bit suspect, but it may still be OK, and it wouldn't be too difficult to patch if necessary anyway. The second board looks a kinda nasty at first glance, but I think the actual damage may be limited to a couple spots on the solder mask, which is really just a cosmetic issue. The tantalum capacitors C126 and C127 could be affected, but it's hard to tell. You'll find out for sure once you power it up... don't hold your face near it in case they explode. Again, though, even in the worst case, the components can be easily replaced if need be.

For cleaning the boards, just douse the whole areas with vinegar, wait until it stops fizzing, then give it a good scrub with some alcohol and a toothbrush.

Reply 3 of 9, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Forevermore wrote:

All 486's are worth the time 😀 Corrosion is easily cleaned off with Alcohol or Vinegar.

Thanks, will try it tomorrow!

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

On the first board, there's one trace to the left of L3 that looks a bit suspect, but it may still be OK, and it wouldn't be too difficult to patch if necessary anyway. The second board looks a kinda nasty at first glance, but I think the actual damage may be limited to a couple spots on the solder mask, which is really just a cosmetic issue. The tantalum capacitors C126 and C127 could be affected, but it's hard to tell. You'll find out for sure once you power it up... don't hold your face near it in case they explode. Again, though, even in the worst case, the components can be easily replaced if need be.

For cleaning the boards, just douse the whole areas with vinegar, wait until it stops fizzing, then give it a good scrub with some alcohol and a toothbrush.

As I said, I powered it up today and got the usual error beep codes for not having a VGA installed, to they are both alive.
I thought the same for the trace on the back. 😉
Thanks for the tip.

Any info on identifying them is well appreciated. 😊

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 4 of 9, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboards restored & tested to be working! There is some minor spots of corrosion still left but they don't want to be removed!
After the process:

restored1_zpsae7cfe2e.jpg

restored2_zps594a4ee1.jpg

Came up with some other hardware, will open a now thread for them!
Edit: Thread opened! Got some "new" 486 stuff! Waiting for more. Advice to utilise them!

Does anyone know why they save the settings without a battery installed? :p

Reply 5 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed the same phenomenon with my 386 and 486 boards. Even without a battery the computers will retain their settings for quite some time (unless I disassemble them). They do lose the settings eventually if you don't use them though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First board likely A-trend OPTi495SLC VL-BUS.
There's 2 other threads on that one here at Vogons.

Second board is likely
JPN CORPORATION
MB-486 DX-33 UM
https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/I-L/30046.htm

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@evasive, please consider if your post is really really neded in old threads. Necroposting is generally discouraged.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If new and relevant information is provided, I don't see the problem. Some of these boards are rare, and it's better to keep all the pertinent info about them in a single thread.

Reply 9 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Dominus: I'll start on the newest first but as said, there may be other people out there with the exact same board. I just know how frsutrating it can be to find it in its full glory with status "unidentified". Each board that is saved from the bin because of this counts. Otherwise I would not be running elhvb.com purely on donations.