VOGONS

First post, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, sorry if this in the wrong spot, but.....

I am still working on my retro gaming PC, right now I need help finding a case and the right RAID card to do what I am planning as well as figuring out how to run two Graphics card in parallel. The first issue is the case and RAID card. what I am looking to do is build a Win 98SE game archive, which means I will need lots of drive space for all Win 98 compatible games. So I was looking for a IDE storage server case so I can have multiple drives in RAID. The second issue is a Win 98 compatible IDE PCI server grade RAID card.

The next issue is the Graphics, I am looking to use a P3 1.4 Ghz CPU with both Geforce FX 5950 Ultra AGP and Voodoo 5500 PCI. Now the issue is can the cards be run in parallel, or can the video be cloned through both so they both can be on the same monitor through a VGA Matrix switch, and that if the game supports Glide the Voodoo takes Priority for output?

Thanks all.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 1 of 3, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could be wrong, but I think Win98SE has problems with drives/partitions larger than 127gb. I've never had a need to use larger than a 120gb drive, so I've never investigated this issue. I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to either confirm the 127gb limit, or show you how to safely go beyond it.

Have you considered building a modern-day NAS and putting it on your network? It might be much easier and cheaper to go that route. The added advantage is that you could use SATA drives and also use it for your other PCs and media devices as well.

Personally, I have a 500gb NTFS drive in a USB enclosure that I use to store all my games images, manuals, patches, etc. I just share that out and get the games to my Win98SE box that way. Using Daemon Tools, I just mount the CD/DVD image and I'm good to go.

I too run a Win98SE machine with an AGP 5950 Ultra and a PCI Voodoo 5. Here's how to do it:

Set Up Dual Hardware Profiles

Reply 2 of 3, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, still does anyone know of a rack mounted or pedestal case that takes IDE or SCSI HDD's? Or a good PCI RAID card for this machine?

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 3 of 3, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's some info about the 127GB limit for some Win9x FAT32 systems.

SCSI and IDE/PATA and SATA drives are all the same size: 3.5 inches. Any case with enough available internal 3.5 inch bays should be sufficient. Check here for some options at NewEgg.

If you need more options, you can get 3.5" to 5.25" drive adapters here.

I'm a big fan of the Antec 300 Illusion case. You can fit six drives inside of it. There is also a regular version of the Antec 300, but it's only $10 cheaper and lacks the fans. The Antec 300 Illusion is the better deal. If you watch carefully, it occasionally goes on sale for $45 after rebate.

Also be sure to get an appropriate PSU to power everything.

For a RAID adapter, I used to have a SYBA SD-ATA133R adapter in my system. NewEgg used to sell them, but you can find them on eBay nowadays. I never had any problems with that adapter and would recommend it.