VOGONS

First post, by hungerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I've decided to go through my bits and pieces in order to assemble a retro-gaming-rig.
What I've found:
a pentium mmx with 200mhz. (socket 7)
a p5sj-a mobo with 128mb ram(edo).
a s3 virge/dx with a 'generic' 3dfx voodoo1 card daisy-chained.
a creative sb16, and a 2gb seagate disk + a samsung floppy drive, I'll later add a cdrom drive.

So far, everything seems to be working fine, except the cpu heatsink. It's one of those coming straight from hell, loud and irritating.
Now I have two 'replacements which I've yet to test, but since they are the same model/make judging by the stickers I'm not to hopeful...

My question at this point is really, does the humble pentium really need a heatsink, let alone a fan cooled one.
Since the board has no 'pc health'-overview in the bios, I have no immediate way of checking the temperature so I'm now relying on more experienced people's suggestions 😊
I've searched around a little, and it seems quite possible to order a replacement, but so far I've only found ones with fans, and ideally this could/should be a passive system.
So ideas? Suggestions?

Call Apogee, Say "Aardwolf"!

Reply 1 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely needs a heatsink/fan. You can also use a socket370/athlon one, it fits fine and are cheap. Get a big sized one, add a silent fan and forget about it. 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ibm5155 wrote:

I have one of these. I use it with this to keep it whisper quiet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Pin-CPU-System- … k-/231030738447

Reply 4 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Minimum/Typical/Maximum power dissipation 2.61 Watt (Stop Grant mode) / 7.9 Watt / 21.55 Watt
Thermal Design Power ? 17 Watt

I have a MMX 233 in my Time-Machine PC and it is underclocked and running at only 133 MHz. Set the voltage one stting lower and you really don't need a fan. The case has a 120mm fan just behind it and the PSU also a 120mm fan just above. Remember PC cases back in the day didn't have case fans at all.

If you go with an AMD K6-2+ or 3+ the voltages are even lower. Some version have only 1.6V and with the right motherboard these also run passively.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hungerfish wrote:

So far, everything seems to be working fine, except the cpu heatsink. It's one of those coming straight from hell, loud and irritating.

You can try throwing a little oil in there. It's not as hard as it sounds, and it works wonders.
Cleaning a PSU fan

Reply 6 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need fans on a 200mhz MMX. My Compaq was factory delivered with the heatsink pictured below and the CPU still lives:

heatsinkcompaq.JPG

There are no case fans!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 14, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hungerfish wrote:

... ideally this could/should be a passive system. So ideas? Suggestions?

You could use some larger heatsink for socket 462 Athlon XPs, sans fan. Minor dremel touches might be needed if there are caps close to the socket. Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 on Super-7 mobo:

Arctic_Cooling_Copper_Lite_K6_2-300x225.jpg . . 12197103.jpg

Socket 7, Super-7 and 462 heatsinks use the same clamping system and are basically interchangeable.

Let the air flow!

Reply 8 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty much anything will work except for a few coolers, those tiny cooler master socket 370 coolers are my favorite as they do save on space but a late model 370 or a low end socket A cooler will just right. Don't need a massive one for a P1 after all they are all below 20w full load.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 14, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Factory AMD Duron Spitfire heatsinks are perfect 😀 Same with the Intel S370 Mendocino ones.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 10 of 14, by hungerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a MMX 233 in my Time-Machine PC and it is underclocked and running at only 133 MHz. Set the voltage one stting lower and you really don't need a fan. The case has a 120mm fan just behind it and the PSU also a 120mm fan just above. Remember PC cases back in the day didn't have case fans at all.

Mine doesn't even have a case yet 😉
I've done some more testing and sadly all three fans I have here are quite loud, even after cleaning/oiling as has been suggested. For now I'm settling with the least annoying one and am considering just getting a new one.
But I have loads of much larger heatsinks(and fans) lying around (amd athlon type coolers) and still think that one of those should be enough (without a fan). Sadly space around the socket is an issue and I don't have access to the tools so modify the heatsinks. 🙁
As vetz seems to confirm with his post, passive can be done. I've tried running the system with just the heatsink without the fan, but found it to get quite hot quickly and without the means to gauge the actual temperature its a little risky I think.
This is the board:
http://computer-retro.de/Bilder/Mainboards/EC … MMX-166-CPU.jpg

Reply 12 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I don't feel comfortable without a fan. I have used my 200mmx with a large heatsink only and it does get hot. Why let this heat spread over the mobo parts near the cpu when even a small scythe mini-kaze 40x40x10mm silent fan can make a huge difference?
I just used one to help with the heat and forgot about it.
That's almost 20years old hardware we are using, no point in adding heat to that IMHO....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 14, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Personally I don't feel comfortable without a fan ... ... Why let this heat spread over the mobo parts near the cpu ... ... no point in adding heat to that IMHO....

I couldn't agree more and always deploy overkill active (fans) cooling for peace of mind, but Hungerfish wants passive. Going passive demands huge chunks of metal.

Let the air flow!

Reply 14 of 14, by hungerfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thanks for all you're input. For now I'm staying with my noisy fan, once I get a case maybe I'll revisit the idea of going passive, but until then I'll just have to live with it.(Or I'll get a new one)
The harddisk is so loud anyway 😉