VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought I'd try and see if the modded Bios I created (only partly my work) would recognise my 2400+ Thoroughbred "B" cpu in my KT7-RAID, and it did successfully.
I also tried a Barton but that was no go, I got a beep but no bios screen no matter what I tried. I will try and get hold of an unlocked 2600+ Barton on a 266fsb at some point
and give that a go. The 2800+I tried was a later fully locked cpu.

I also worked out what multi in the bios corresponds to what You actually get

BIOS MULTI= CPU MULTI
5= Does not boot
5.5= Does not boot
6= Does not boot
6.5= Does not boot
7= 15 for 1500mhz (100fsb)
7.5= 22 for 2200mhz
8= 16 for 1600mhz
8.5= 16.5 for 1650mhz
9= 17 for 1700mhz
9.5= 18 for 1800mhz
10= 23 for 2300mhz
10.5= 24 for 2400mhz (was running 3dmark99 until it crashed)
11= Does not boot
11.5= 19 for 1900mhz
12= Does not boot
12 above (12.5)= 20 for 2000mhz

"Does not boot" can be resolved by removing the AC cord for a few seconds, then holding down "delete" during boot, sets
it to a multi of 20 for 2000mhz

Anyway, here's the proof

Attachments

• 3dmark.jpg
    Filename
    3dmark.jpg
    File size
    118.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Dsc00676a.jpg
    Filename
    Dsc00676a.jpg
    File size
    82.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 22 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I now have a Athlon XP-M Barton 2400+ running in my KT7-RAID. It defaulted to the lower multiplier set of 5 - 12.5, so I performed the
Socket pinmod to enable the 5th bit for 13 - 24 multipliers. Motherboard recognises the chip properly with this bios.

Attachments

• Dsc00692a.jpg
    Filename
    Dsc00692a.jpg
    File size
    120.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Dsc00693a.jpg
    Filename
    Dsc00693a.jpg
    File size
    195.58 KiB
    Views
    File license

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 23 of 39, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a revision 1.0 board and not sure if its working properly, I installed a XP2400+ thoroughbred and the chip fried immediately, ie within 2 seconds I didn't have a heatsink attatched but that should'nt matter within that space of time? I also havent checked what bios is in the board again that shouldn't affect the ability to fry chips?

On a similar vain.. I've also just received an epox EP-8KEM2 motherboard and according to this old cpu support list from Epox it supports up to a 2200+ chip but not 2400/2600?

I would basically be happy to run a 2400XP in the KT7A but thought if the 8KEM2 can officially run a thoroughbred could it possibly run the XP-M 2500+ and overclock that b!tch like crazy? I don't mind buying chips that don't work in my motherboards but don't like frying chips either.

Reply 24 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fatal mistake my friend, those chips will all blow up without a heatsink within seconds. New cpu's have thermal throttling
to stop this. There are examples of this on Youtube.

Reply 25 of 39, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair, all k7 chips, Palomino and onward, had a thermal diode with shutdown capability. The issue was board support. Certainly a board based on the KT133(A) would not be expected to support this as it was more geared towards Thunderbird support.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. Officially the Abit KT7-RAID only supports up to Thunderbird 1.4, I expect original revision kt7a to be the same except
support for 133mhz fsb cpus.

Reply 27 of 39, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

To be fair, all k7 chips, Palomino and onward, had a thermal diode with shutdown capability. The issue was board support. Certainly a board based on the KT133(A) would not be expected to support this as it was more geared towards Thunderbird support.

I did fry a Palomino once, it even had a heatsink installed but I had forgotten to apply any TIM. After I had powered up the board, it never posted and after some seconds I could smell something....something bad 🤣!

These chips run HOT!

I was lucky with a Thunderbird a few times though, but that was an underclocked 1200 running at 900MHz, also only the TIM missing
Best is to concentrate while working with sA

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 39, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also fried Thunderbird 1.4GHz, but it was on Abit NF7-S 2.0. I didn't install a heatsink and later just powered it up. Was looking weird at the monitor as the BIOS didn't show up in a few seconds... and then it was already too late... the smell of burning gave it away 🙁 Later I checked the BIOS and the thermal shutdown was enabled... I guess it was too fast even for the BIOS to run the check routines.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 29 of 39, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

I now have a Athlon XP-M Barton 2400+ running in my KT7-RAID. It defaulted to the lower multiplier set of 5 - 12.5, so I performed the
Socket pinmod to enable the 5th bit for 13 - 24 multipliers. Motherboard recognizes the chip properly with this bios.

So, to bump an old thread, hopefully Imperious reads this.

I recently got the same Barton 2400+ XP-M, in my KT7A-RAID which has no difficulty running a Thoroughbred B 2400+ (2000/133). I can't get the chip to post, and I'm trying to rule out that I just got a dead chip.

Imperious, which pin mod did you do? I have the same modded A9 BIOS (BP 4.23), same chip (yours a AXMH2400FQQ4C?) - no POST. Did you pin mod for speed AND voltage, or just unlock HI multipliers? I would assume that this chip would default to something and at least POST, but I'm having issues here.

I've attached the mod I did.

Pinmod Barton.jpg
Filename
Pinmod Barton.jpg
File size
245.01 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30 of 39, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

I also fried Thunderbird 1.4GHz, but it was on Abit NF7-S 2.0. I didn't install a heatsink and later just powered it up. Was looking weird at the monitor as the BIOS didn't show up in a few seconds... and then it was already too late... the smell of burning gave it away 🙁 Later I checked the BIOS and the thermal shutdown was enabled... I guess it was too fast even for the BIOS to run the check routines.

I run several Thunderbird 1400 CPUs. They don't have a temperature sensor on the chip. The KT7A's thermal sensor is actually in the center of the socket and underneath the CPU when mounted. From what I see in pictures, the NF7-S is similar. As you can imagine, this is not a very accurate way to determine CPU temps. Worse, the Thunderbird 1400s run so damn hot that they'll burn up in only a few seconds if the heatsink is not mounted correctly, as you have unfortunately discovered. I didn't even know that "thermal shutdown" was available for any of the boards supporting Athlon CPUs. I suppose it might be OK for an Athlon XP, but the thermal sensors are too inaccurate and the Thunderbird 1400 just burns up too fast for anything like that to be effective. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_ … ZXtjulXzfI#t=54

Wasn't the Coppermine P-III the first CPU to support throttling and ISST? I didn't think any of Athlon or Athlon XP models supported throttling at all.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2016-08-09, 01:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 32 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroBoogie wrote:
So, to bump an old thread, hopefully Imperious reads this. […]
Show full quote
Imperious wrote:

Socket pinmod to enable the 5th bit for 13 - 24 multipliers. Motherboard recognizes the chip properly with this bios.

So, to bump an old thread, hopefully Imperious reads this.

I recently got the same Barton 2400+ XP-M, in my KT7A-RAID which has no difficulty running a Thoroughbred B 2400+ (2000/133). I can't get the chip to post, and I'm trying to rule out that I just got a dead chip.

Imperious, which pin mod did you do? I have the same modded A9 BIOS (BP 4.23), same chip (yours a AXMH2400FQQ4C?) - no POST. Did you pin mod for speed AND voltage, or just unlock HI multipliers? I would assume that this chip would default to something and at least POST, but I'm having issues here.

I've attached the mod I did.

The attachment Pinmod Barton.jpg is no longer available

There is a different BIOS version for the KT7A-RAID 1.3 than the KT7. It looks like KT7A version 1.0 to 1.2 use
the A9 Bios, and 1.3 should use the B4 bios. Do Your own research for this though please, as I cannot test obviously.
The pinmod I did is what is in the photo attached, which is connected to a switch so I can toggle (with power off) between the lower and higher multi's.
That is all.
Have You tried fully resetting the Bios, it might be stuck on one of the multi's that don't work.

EDIT I just realised You have used 13.5 multi in that pinmod, that doesn't post (not selectable) in my motherboard, I would suggest removing all
pinmods except the hi/lo one and see how that goes. You could also remove all pinmods and see if it posts at the lower multi's.

Attachments

• Dsc00694s.jpg
    Filename
    Dsc00694s.jpg
    File size
    216.45 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 33 of 39, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I tried manually wiring at 14x, 13x, and just the multiplier bit (although it looks like LO?):

5th Bit.jpg
Filename
5th Bit.jpg
File size
230.73 KiB
Views
File license

I tried flashing the BIOS to stock A9 (KT7A-RAID 1.0), modded by BP 4.23, and modded by BP 4.51. All same results. Chip never even posted.

I even removed all pins and cleared the CMOS before trying a number of good chips - my 2400+ Thoroughbred-B, a Duron 1000, and a known dead 1.2 TB. The 'new' Barton only did what the known dead chip did - no POST, no beep. Every other chip at least posted at default speeds and let me into the BIOS. I have concluded that this Barton has to be DOA. Will be sadly informing the seller. Was really looking forward to having the increased cache and 'maxing' out this board.

I ended up pinmodding this thing probably 5 different ways until I finally put my old chip back in. Thankfully I didn't fry anything with all my tinkering. I want to try running a chip at 1600MHz and increasing the bus to 150MHz, but not today. I've had enough with kynar wire and tweezers.

Reply 34 of 39, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, after comparing you pic to mine, it appears you chose an alternate pin than the one in my diagram. I guess you really did find the HI pin. If I may ask, what does that enable you to do in the BIOS? For example, my 2400+ Thoroughbred B (2000/133) is unlocked, but my system won't run at any other multiplier I set in the BIOS - I have to manually wire it each time I change. If I remove all wires, I can change certain ones but with funky AMD cross-reference values, and only at 100FSB. The one exception is 9x, which gives 17x at 133FSB equaling 2261MHz and crapping out in Win98. Should I give up on 133FSB even though this board supports it? It seems at CPU speeds that high 100FSB puts up some pretty good scores.

Reply 35 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Athlon XP's made around and after 39th week 2003 are all locked I think. Here is the link I got the mod from.

http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/

this mod forces multipliers 15 and up to 24, and with this set You can no longer use 5-12.5 which is why I put the switch
in. You can adjust FSB and Vcore in the bios. A lot of those pinmods on the link you used are for motherboards that do not offer fsb and vcore and
multi adjustments.

You probably will need to crank the voltage up over 1.75v for 2261mhz, but keep an eye on the temperature. These motherboards are also massively
bandwidth limited by SDRAM at those higher cpu speeds. I got the best performance with a Radeon 9800xt, a 6800gt performs worse.

Reply 36 of 39, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very interesting link - can't believe I never stumbled on that one, thanks.

I don't have a 6600gt, but I do have a ti4600 which scores 10450 on 3dmark01se at 2000/133. I was reading that KT133A can reach 150FSB, which may overcome a bit of the SDRAM limitation, even running at a lower CPU speed.

Reply 37 of 39, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:
Athlon XP's made around and after 39th week 2003 are all locked I think. Here is the link I got the mod from. […]
Show full quote

Athlon XP's made around and after 39th week 2003 are all locked I think. Here is the link I got the mod from.

http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdmults/

this mod forces multipliers 15 and up to 24, and with this set You can no longer use 5-12.5 which is why I put the switch
in. You can adjust FSB and Vcore in the bios. A lot of those pinmods on the link you used are for motherboards that do not offer fsb and vcore and
multi adjustments.

You probably will need to crank the voltage up over 1.75v for 2261mhz, but keep an eye on the temperature. These motherboards are also massively
bandwidth limited by SDRAM at those higher cpu speeds. I got the best performance with a Radeon 9800xt, a 6800gt performs worse.

hey imperious, i was offered 2 athlon mobile proccesors but i dont know which to choose for my abit k7ta

one is athlon xp mobile 2500+ 14x multi
the other one is athlon xp mobile 2800+ 16x multi

reading all this topic seems that the 2800+ is not compatible for the bios and pinmod?
should i go with the 2500+ ??

Reply 38 of 39, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi SETBLASTER, I got Your PM but will answer it here.

I think I've remembered what the deal is here, 1st of all You need the modded bios installed, that will allow Thoroughbred and Barton cores to work properly.
I guess the word "Properly" is a bit of an exaggeration.
I do remember trying a standard Barton 2800+ in it and got no post at all.
Then I got hold of a MP Barton 2400+ and that works fine, but I used a switch instead of a pinmod so I can still use the lower multi's if needed, especially for Dos games and
if using a 3DFX Voodoo 1.
I really don't know what chip would work best but they are all the same core so should clock to the same speeds. I could run 2300mhz reasonably stable. I'm not sure whether the
power circuitry on the motherboard can cope with high speeds over say 2250mhz for long periods even with good cooling.

The way the switch setup works is you boot with the lower multi's available, then use the table I made above to make sure the milti will work when booting with the switch set to "Hi"
otherwise it won't post and You'll have to reset the bios possibly.

I don't have this system setup at the moment so can't test anything I have said.

Reply 39 of 39, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:
Hi SETBLASTER, I got Your PM but will answer it here. […]
Show full quote

Hi SETBLASTER, I got Your PM but will answer it here.

I think I've remembered what the deal is here, 1st of all You need the modded bios installed, that will allow Thoroughbred and Barton cores to work properly.
I guess the word "Properly" is a bit of an exaggeration.
I do remember trying a standard Barton 2800+ in it and got no post at all.
Then I got hold of a MP Barton 2400+ and that works fine, but I used a switch instead of a pinmod so I can still use the lower multi's if needed, especially for Dos games and
if using a 3DFX Voodoo 1.
I really don't know what chip would work best but they are all the same core so should clock to the same speeds. I could run 2300mhz reasonably stable. I'm not sure whether the
power circuitry on the motherboard can cope with high speeds over say 2250mhz for long periods even with good cooling.

The way the switch setup works is you boot with the lower multi's available, then use the table I made above to make sure the milti will work when booting with the switch set to "Hi"
otherwise it won't post and You'll have to reset the bios possibly.

I don't have this system setup at the moment so can't test anything I have said.

thanks, yea i dont understand why someone in this topic did the bios and pin mod with a MOBILE 2800+ and did not work , as you say they are all the same, well the 2800 has a difference in voltage, according to amd wiki the voltage is higher, but all mobiles processors should work . ill see if i get a 2800+ or 2500´+