Pentium Pro CPUs are NOT flat!

Topic actions

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium Pro CPUs are NOT flat!

Im tinkering with a Intel pr440fx motherboard with two vanilla Pentium Pro 200 CPUs
Everything seemed great, the board posted at the first attempt, found both CPUs and so on.
I installed Dos 6.22 just to see that the board was working and everything went smooth.

Then I installed NT4 and things just fell apart. It took me several attempts just to get NT installed.
Random lockups, strange behavior, disks stopped working and so on.
I changed IDE-cables, disks, the PSU, memory, Video Card, added fans you name it! Still the same problems.

Then I removed the heatsink from CPU2, I had used lots of Artic Silver since the CPU is large but it diddnt cover more than a tiny part of the CPU.
I checked how flat the CPU heat spreader was with a metallic ruler, its not even close to flat.
10$ worth of Artic Silver 5 seems to have fixed the issue, I really need to get some cheap thermal paste for these kind of projects.

Several hours of hunting Gremlins just to find out that the issue was the first thing I should have checked.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 22, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wtf? $10 worth of Artic Silver 5?

You do realize you're NOT suppose to slather on thermal paste right? It doesn't take much at all, you only need a thin almost transparent layer, this goes for just about any type of thermal paste as well. The whole point of thermal paste is to simply cover any almost microscopic pot holes on a CPU's surface, heat therefore transfers to the heatsink ALOT better.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 2 of 22, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you read my post ? 😀
You do realize how large a Pentium Pro is? And that there are two of them.
As I wrote: The heat spreader is not even close to flat, we are talking about 1 mm unevenness not 1 um 😉
And 10$ was probably an exaggeration, but not by much.

Also I probably reported your post 😁
Report / reply looks too similar in high resulution.
But Im sure the moderator wont find any warez in your post.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 3 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of the thermal transfer will occur in that one good contact spot. Thick thermal paste is poorly conductive. I wouldn't worry about it. Convex is probably better than concave too.

Reply 5 of 22, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Most of the thermal transfer will occur in that one good contact spot. Thick thermal paste is poorly conductive. I wouldn't worry about it. Convex is probably better than concave too.

Yes Im aware about that. When I rescue systems from dumpters I often laugh when I see how much paste the former owners used when mounting their poor CPUs

But no more lock ups or other strange behavior so poor heat transfer is better than nothing.
There is some diffrence between the tiny naked core on a Socket-A CPU and the lawn size heatspreader on the Pentium Pro.

TELVM wrote:

Just lap it into submission 🤣 .

I will not lap a Pentium Pro! I like the gold where it is.
If you look in my Slot-1 Baby-AT thread you will see a lapped Celeron 500 CPU I lapped back in 1999 😀

Reply 6 of 22, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this one of the black PPros, or the gold-capped type?

My gold capped PPro is a little concave, as most CPUs are, but it's not too bad... it did take a fair bit of thermal compound to get full coverage simply due to the surface area of the thing, but it wasn't that much more than I'd normally use on, say, an Athlon64.

Reply 7 of 22, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Is this one of the black PPros, or the gold-capped type?

My gold capped PPro is a little concave, as most CPUs are, but it's not too bad... it did take a fair bit of thermal compound to get full coverage simply due to the surface area of the thing, but it wasn't that much more than I'd normally use on, say, an Athlon64.

Its the gold-capped type.

One of the CPUs is a bit concave, not terrible uneven but more so than most CPUs.
The other CPU is convex and has a high spot that is not centered in the middle. It is the most uneven CPU heat spreader I have ever seen... by far...

The tube was almost full, now it isnt. The Athlon 64 is just in the picture so you can see the size of the tube with paste.
Im do not have a spare Pentium Pro to take a picture of but the heat spreader of the Pentium Pro is about twice the size of the Athlon 64 heat spreader.
eL5x0oV.jpg

Reply 8 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suggest leaving expensive AS5 behind. I just buy the 22g Ceramique syringe. It's cheap but it tends to compare well with AS5's performance.

I've also been considering another paste, MG Chemicals 860. It rated excellent in a big roundup with testing methodology that impressed me.
www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp ... MgodW1AA3g

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php … 1&limitstart=12

Reply 9 of 22, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the past couple years I've been using this.

I see no reason to use anything fancy... the 3-4 degree difference between the cheap stuff and the high-end 'enthusiast' compounds means exactly SFA in practice. If that little of a temperature difference is enough to cause a problem, you have an inadequate heatsink to start with.

Reply 10 of 22, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

For the past couple years I've been using this.

I see no reason to use anything fancy... the 3-4 degree difference between the cheap stuff and the high-end 'enthusiast' compounds means exactly SFA in practice. If that little of a temperature difference is enough to cause a problem, you have an inadequate heatsink to start with.

It makes a difference if you're overclocking the shit out of something like I did with my main rig, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal for pre-Pentium 4 hardware.

Reply 11 of 22, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used some white goop from RadioShack for years until it ran out then some grey stuff from China (cheap). Just about anything is better then an air gap, which is the only reason we use heatsink compound (to fill in airgaps). People go crazy with the stuff and screw up performance even if they have a decent heatsink and fan to begin with.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem with the ultra-cheap stuff is it sometimes totally separates or even dries up. That's what I remember of the Radio Shack paste that I used in the '90s! But I don't know what they sell now.

Yeah there is a ton of blind faith and total lack of perspective out there when it comes to thermal paste. I don't know how many times I've seen that IC Diamond paste pushed as the "only real choice" and the solution to all overheating problems. Sigh.

Reply 13 of 22, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

I've also been considering another paste, MG Chemicals 860. It rated excellent in a big roundup with testing methodology that impressed me.
www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp ... MgodW1AA3g

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php … 1&limitstart=12

Noooo A vs A+ and half of a degree difference. That is unacceptable... 😉

The Artic Silver was bought when I overclocked a C2D E8600 with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.
Later when I upgraded to an i7 920 I bought a Noctua NH-D14 and there was a large tube with paste included.
I bought a second NH-D14 when I upgraded to the dual Xeon rig I use today so I got another "free" tube with paste.
The Noctua paste lasted until recently and I only had that old and expensive tube with Artic Silver 5 left 😀

Reply 14 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Artic silver 5 is outdated and there are better compounds in both directions. The high end compounds do make a difference vs the cheap stuff that the oems use but for retro almost anything will do.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

... I will not lap a Pentium Pro! I like the gold where it is ...

Ouch, I wasn't aware P-Pros are pieces of jewelery 😳 .

Top it off each one (ceramic) has about $50 worth of Gold and are getting rare so no lap.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 19 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:

Exactly why did Intel plate P-Pro's IHS in gold? Beats me 😕 .

Lots of electronics are gold plated. Gold is non-reactive (ie corrosion resistant) and very electrically conductive.