VOGONS

Pentium 2 question

Topic actions

First post, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all 😁
i have a pentium 2 350mhz 100fsb, the board i have is a 440lx chipset for 66mhz fsb only, when cpu is installed it runs at 233mhz (can oc to a max of 290mhz@85fsb but will kept it at 233mhz). The thing that is on my mind is will this run ok/safe with the cpu needing a lower voltage to the older pentium2 klamath core? the board is a QDI Legend V and is jumperless design with no voltage control.
thanks in advance..

Reply 1 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as it's stable and it can pass a stress test like Prime95, it should be fine. I'd watch how hot it runs though, just to make sure.

Reply 2 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

As long as it's stable and it can pass a stress test like Prime95, it should be fine. I'd watch how hot it runs though, just to make sure.

i have run prime95 on it and was solid stable, the heatsink is cool to touch. i was just worried incase it may burnout the cpu, thanks for the reasurance. id like to pop in one more question, i have a rage 128 all in wonder 16mb agp card and a generic unbranded TNT2 pro 16mb, which of these cards would be best to run along side a 233mhz to keep in time line of that period? it will be running along side a single atrend voodoo2 12mb pci card (which id run in sli but my other is a different brand).

Reply 3 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd run it at 300mhz. 440LX is so limited...

If you really wanted to keep with the "period" you would fall back to late97-mid98 hardware, which brings a huge mixed bag of host video cards.... Riva128, Rage Pro Turbo, Mystique etc. and the Voodoo2 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I'd run it at 300mhz. 440LX is so limited...

If you really wanted to keep with the "period" you would fall back to late97-mid98 hardware, which brings a huge mixed bag of host video cards.... Riva128, Rage Pro Turbo, Mystique etc. and the Voodoo2 😀

Unfortunatly the board limits me to 66/68/75/85mhz fsb settings and the multiplier is locked on the cpu so im unable to atain 300mhz. i am also running 2x32mb pc66 under win98se. the only other video card i have is a matrox g200 but i will go with the rage 128 aiw. i will be running doom quake 1+2, turok games and other games of that era, not sure if it will do half-life but mostly older games back to dos.

Reply 6 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot 1 boards are CHEAP. Just get a board with BX440 chipset.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I wonder, is it stable at 290MHz? I think it would be a great way to take advantage of the extra voltage that's being fed to your CPU.

it certaintly is stable at 290mhz 😁 i may have to fit a heatsink to the northbridge though as it gets quite warm with the fsb at 85mhz. i would be better to use pc100 so i dont damage the pc66 ram but i do have a box joblot of sdram in every size and speed 😉

Reply 8 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Slot 1 boards are CHEAP. Just get a board with BX440 chipset.

not so cheap in the uk, all the good boards are overseas with a heft postage tag, though i have found a cheap slot A board for another build for my 667mhz athlon cpu.

Reply 9 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not in the UK? Man your eBay market is one of the best. Just got to look and be patient. The other option is getting a complete PIII PC. They are also very cheap, often can be picked up locally for free.

http://dsa.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p204 … 58058&_from=R40

One of my favourites:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aopen-AX6BC-Slot-1- … =item232f3caab9

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Not in the UK? Man your eBay market is one of the best. Just got to look and be patient. The other option is getting a complete […]
Show full quote

Not in the UK? Man your eBay market is one of the best. Just got to look and be patient. The other option is getting a complete PIII PC. They are also very cheap, often can be picked up locally for free.

One of my favourites:

most of the boards are from oem built pc's, i like retail but i will be sure to keep an eye out for a decent one in uk. As for pentium 3's all my p3 boards have died over the years to the cold winter climates, i had some really great p3 boards (2 chaintech boards 440bx that could run a 550@800mhz stable) which is a shame 😢 . im left with a collection of cpu's now, 550, 667 slot 1 cpu's and 667/700/800/866/933mhz skt 370's all working of course 😁

Reply 11 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pkw4 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I wonder, is it stable at 290MHz? I think it would be a great way to take advantage of the extra voltage that's being fed to your CPU.

it certaintly is stable at 290mhz 😁 i may have to fit a heatsink to the northbridge though as it gets quite warm with the fsb at 85mhz. i would be better to use pc100 so i dont damage the pc66 ram but i do have a box joblot of sdram in every size and speed 😉

You'll definitely want to do that. I know that when I overclocked my main box, I had to put a fan in front of the northbridge heatsink to keep it stable. I'm actually considering modding an old CPU cooler from an Athlon 64 box and putting that in place. It would be overkill, but it would be worth it.

Reply 12 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
pkw4 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

You'll definitely want to do that. I know that when I overclocked my main box, I had to put a fan in front of the northbridge heatsink to keep it stable. I'm actually considering modding an old CPU cooler from an Athlon 64 box and putting that in place. It would be overkill, but it would be worth it.

you can get a zalman chipset cooler off ebay quite cheap, i have one on order 😎
my main box im on i have been meaning to put a fan on to as it gets far to hot to touch until my zalman chipset cooler arrives, exact same gigabyte g31-sl2 board as in your sig with 4gb corsair xms2 and e8400@3ghz stock but easily does 3.6ghz with no voltage modifications and an akasa x4 cooler on it.

Reply 13 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right now I'm actually running an ASUS P5B. It's an older board, but it actually has better features than what I was using before.

EDIT: Just updated my sig. I decided to try a different banner style. 😁

Reply 14 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful, I had a Chaintech 440LX board and when I overclocked to 83MHz FSB I started getting hard disk corruption, presumably because the PCI bus was running too fast and the IDE controller didn't like this.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 16 of 21, by pkw4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will take the hdd corruption issue into acount, but i will most likely keep the cpu at 233mhz if i have any issue at 290mhz which does give it quite a boost in games. Iv not heared of a 440bx having hdd issues at its standard 100mhz, most are good for 142mhz fsb if you use pc133. I know where to come back if i have any more issues on my retro builds in future, thanks again for the help guys 😁

@mr_bigmouth_502 : nice new sig, my ram is 800mhz@5-5-5-18, i also would have liked a p35 but is costly for a decent 775 board these days, though i do have an asus m4a78lt-m for a phenom II x4 build to eventually replace my main box.

Reply 19 of 21, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got my gigabyte bx-2000 board at the local flea market,for 2 euros,turned out to be fine,the asus on the other hand,same market,same price,turned out to be a dud.