VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do i get rid of one of these, just clip the leads and yank it? The mobo still works but I'm concerned about leaving traces of acid behind, what's the best way to clean the residue? I don't want things to corrode further.
Also, there is a socket/plug for an external battery, what sort of battery/battery holder would I need to pick up at Ratshack to replace the old CMOS battery?

Reply 1 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Clipping the leads is the easiest, desoldering it is the cleanest way (but depending on the corrosion it might damage the PCB even more).
Neutralize the acid with some vinegar and then scrub the residue away with an old toothbrush dipped in some isopropyl alcohol.
For the EXT. BATTERY header I use a PC speaker connector and AA battery holder.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 7, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't vinegar an acid, though? Not sure how that would work to neutralize it. I'll give it a shot, though.
I'm planning on heading to the store to grab a battery holder. Is 1 AA battery enough or do you need dual AA batteries?

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea clipping it + vinegar seems what everyone is doing.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I got the vinegar and bought a 2 AA battery holder at Radioshack, but the leads don't have a plug on them and I couldn't find a proper plug to use. Do I just solder the wires onto the old leads, or look for a plug to use with the external battery jack? Is there a standard part number they all use?

Reply 5 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said before, I find that the easiest way to get the proper connector is to clip it off an old PC speaker.
1.0x0.jpg
A CD-ROM analog audio cable also works, provided you use the correct pins.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 6 of 7, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

133MHz,

You're right, sorry I completely glossed over that. I think I may have one of those PC speakers laying around that I can use, if not I'm sure I've got some piece of junk that will work.

Did you have to change the position of the cables on the PC speaker plug end at all, or do they stay where they are currently at? It looks like it is wider than just two pins, more like 4.

Reply 7 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

Isn't vinegar an acid, though? Not sure how that would work to neutralize it.

You're right, vinegar is slightly acidic.

Battery "acid" in the case of NiMH batteries is actually highly basic, hence why vinegar neutralises it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread