VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I decided to finally do something with this retro box of mine, I have several more modern OSs but no way to get them on this system (no CD-ROM). I do have a floppy disk drive but no floppy disks around anymore (may be some at the parents place but not sure I want to trek out there).

I have a working Pentium Pro 200 system with a CDROM drive, and also an old school 100MB parallel port zip drive.

Now I could probably copy win95 or OS/2 to a zip disk, but of course won't be able to boot from it. Would it be possible to install from it? I'm not sure how that would work, and if it did it might be slow as hell.
I could temporarily hook a CD ROM to this PC and just set it outside the case, that might work best, but there is no way to stuff it in the case.

As far as OS, what would you go with? I'm leaning towards OS/2, but Win 95 would probably be less headache. I'm not sure Win 98 will run well on 486 era hardware, but I also have access to it. No way am I going to try and put Millenium or Win 2k on this system. I have 16mb of RAM and I believe 256k cache so 95 should run ok, also OS/2 warp if I can get around the CDROM issue. What do you guys think?

Reply 1 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you want to do with this? Gaming?

Win98 will definitely run on this CPU... it has a DX2/66 as minimum requirement and a PPro 200 runs circles around that. Bummer about it being the 256 KB cache version, but you can see how far you can go with games as Unreal, Half-Life etc. with this and maybe a Voodoo2. The lack of MMX will be quite limiting, but perhaps it will still do better than a P200 MMX for example...

Reply 2 of 10, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I was going to use the DX2-66 for maybe a mix of DOS/Win95 era gaming and the P Pro 200 with a Voodoo 3 for later DOS 98/2000 era stuff. The 486 is the box with 256k cache, not sure what the P Pro has.

I don't necessarily know that I will keep both of them going, I guess I just have to see which I enjoy fooling with more. The 486 is currently the system that doesn't really have any disc drives, other than the floppy and the parallel port zip, which is going to make it tough to get an OS on there.

Reply 4 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

You can see how Quake 3 runs on Dual PPro 200 1MB and a 10 year newer graphics card... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK5QFySGpy4

Not exactly the smoothest experience 😉

Is the game being run in SMP mode so both CPU's can get in on the action?

Reply 5 of 10, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm difficult...
Well I could only survive with a floppy disk, but you could use some windows 98 install that can boot from cd.
Or if you have some usb onboard or some usb pci board, you could try to make a cd that boots from usb.
If nothing works, I would get a dvd, put a simple linux on it plus windows on the same disc, format the hard drive, copy windows to hard drive then change to a dos bootable cd and install windows xD

Reply 6 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless you have a lot of RAM, you probably shouldn't bother doing anything with Win9x on that 486, especially since you have another perfectly good machine for that. Stick with DOS.

The novelty of OS/2 will probably wear off in ten minutes and you will never use it again.

Reply 7 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Unless you have a lot of RAM, you probably shouldn't bother doing anything with Win9x on that 486, especially since you have another perfectly good machine for that. Stick with DOS.

The novelty of OS/2 will probably wear off in ten minutes and you will never use it again.

I used to use Syquest removable drives as hard drives in my first 486 machine because I couldn't afford a proper hard drive and I had cartridges with Win3.1/DOS and OS/2 installed on them. All I had to do was make sure I had the proper cart installed in the primary drive before booting to switch between the two. I hadn't yet learned about multi-booting OS's back then, but the Syquest carts wouldn't have been big enough for multiple OS installations even if I had.

But yeah, OS/2 isn't so exciting that you would want to use it for any length of time. Native apps are expensive and hard to find now and the Win3.1 compatibility, while good, isn't perfect. There is a small list of Windows apps that either won't boot or generate errors that you don't get from a machine with Windows 3.1 on it.

Reply 8 of 10, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember OS/2 being very useable on even a 486 DX-33. I did have something
like 12 meg of RAM at the time, though. It was a really nice little box.
And OS/2 was awesome at running Dos software. I was able to run Tie Fighter
or Doom in its own instance. I could also run 3D Studio or Autocad and
switch to Painter or Photoshop when needed and then back into my 3D app.
So I think OS/2 with win 3.11 would work, or maybe something like damn small
Linux. I could probably also do Win 95 but don't think I'd want to go later
than that. I should mention I only have an ISA slot and no USB.

Reply 9 of 10, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

I used to use Syquest removable drives as hard drives in my first 486 machine because I couldn't afford a proper hard drive and I had cartridges with Win3.1/DOS and OS/2 installed on them. All I had to do was make sure I had the proper cart installed in the primary drive before booting to switch between the two. I hadn't yet learned about multi-booting OS's back then, but the Syquest carts wouldn't have been big enough for multiple OS installations even if I had.

But yeah, OS/2 isn't so exciting that you would want to use it for any length of time. Native apps are expensive and hard to find now and the Win3.1 compatibility, while good, isn't perfect. There is a small list of Windows apps that either won't boot or generate errors that you don't get from a machine with Windows 3.1 on it.

I agree that other than novelty, it probably makes more sense to use Win 95
or Linux on that machine. Thank god I have some old licenses laying around.

Reply 10 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Is the game being run in SMP mode so both CPU's can get in on the action?

Who knows... SMP support was experimental anyway so major performance gains are very unlikely.