VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have a list of games which give Sound Blaster clones a lot of trouble? I'm testing a PCI solution for digital sound and want to see how compatible it is.

Thanks. 😀

Reply 1 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try something that uses CT-VOICE.DRV, like, say, Traffic Department 2192.

I seem to recall Bio Menace and Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage could be a bit ornery, too.

Reply 2 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The really old games. Anything from Sierra but also Lucasarts games like Fate of Atlantis CD with speech.

The late games have much better drivers and work with pretty much anything, including PCI.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fate of Atlantis with speech, Space Quest 4 with speech. These are the games I found struggle to run on many PCI sound cards.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 23, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh you were talking about PCI cards, come to think of it I specifically remember not being able to use a PCI Sound Blaster 128 with LBA (this was quite some time ago though separate from the more recent with ESS Audio drive ).

My guess though is that it only likes the correct SB cards.

Cant think of anything else problematic from my experience but I'm sure lots of games are out there that are picky with sound devices

Reply 7 of 23, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Jorpho
Bio Menace, Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage, All work great music + digital
Traffic Department 2192, music is fine, digital gets "stuck" looping explosions

@Mau1wurf1977
Fate of Atlantis CD, music + digital work great.
Space Quest 4, can't find a disc for this online

@awergh
Little Big Adventure, don't have a cd to burn this. 🙁

Reply 8 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Space Quest 4 is available on GOG.com or Steam 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The GOG/Steam version is just the ordinary DOS version packed with DOSBox. After installation, you should be able to copy it over to your DOS machine without any problems.

Reply 12 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote:

Yes but I need a version that works in DOS. 😐

You're new to this, aren't you. 😈

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 23, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SQ4 gave me lots of problems, even with a SB16 (CT2940). Basically the game would lock up playing digital sound.

Haven't tried it since I moved to an AWE64 Gold.

This was the version from the Space Quest Collection CD. They run in Dosbox by default but include the DOS executables as well.

Reply 14 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SQ4 is extremely CPU speed sensitive out of the box, as far as causing digital sounds to either not play, end prematurely, or indeed freeze/crash the game. And that's not even to mention the impact on in-game sequences.

Reply 16 of 23, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Little Big Adventure / Relentless is a piece of shit concerning any sound card, really (despite being a really-really good game otherwise). It also has multiple issues with many DOS4GW versions, and other DOS4GW-compatible extenders. The best result I had was with DOS4GW 2.0a and GUS ACE (ISA ESS688 is a no-go).

SQ4 CD works perfectly with any ISA SB-compatible card, just like every DOS Sierra game. Note that I don't use "PNP" Blasters and PCI soundcards. You shouldn't either. Never go above SB Pro 2.

Reply 17 of 23, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tongue of the Fatman. AFAIK, it only plays digitized speech on the SB 1.0 or 1.5. Otherwise it uses the PC Speaker for speech. It certainly did play speech on the speaker on my 386, but I added a junk OPTi soundcard to it, so it was not probably fully SB compatible either.

Reply 18 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gabucino wrote:

SQ4 CD works perfectly with any ISA SB-compatible card, just like every DOS Sierra game.

I.e. not very well. 😜

Nah, I kid, once patched up it's pretty good.

Reply 19 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ASus Xonar in my XP system and can't play The Simpsons Hit and Run for more than a couple minutes before all but the soundtrack stops playing. People talk endlessly saying nothing and there are no driving sounds or anything.