VOGONS

First post, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, I need your help!

I just finished installing DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on an old 486 machine. But I have problem with a SoundBlaster Vibra 16S PnP.
I run the CTCM (config manager) from a floppy, it finds my card and sets the blaster variable for the non-PnP dos& windows 3.
I then insert the 2 floppies and install the drivers. After the soft reboot everything works good, I even installed windows 3.1 from the card's IDE and have sound in both dos and windows.

BUT!
After I power down the machine, it cannot recognise the card and of course I don't have sound and cd-rom support.
If I delete the entries in autoexec.bat and config.sys, soft reboot, and redo the procedure, everything is ok until the first power down.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?
Please help! 😢

PS: I remember me doing this exact thing a few weeks ago and everything was working as intended...

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 1 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of Vibra 16s's and none are PnP. They're "semi" PnP in that you need to configure them via "Diagnose.exe" (instead of via jumpers), but you don't need CTCM. Why are you running that first?

All you need in your autoexec.bat is your SET BLASTER line first, and then your call to Diagnose.exe second.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm that the SET BLASTER line is there and diagnose.exe runs at the startup, but the card doesn't work, except after soft rebooting after installing the drivers.

I run the diagnose.exe manually and says: "Failure setting base I/O Address at 220H". If I select any of the options as base I/O address it still cannot detect my card there.
So what is the problem? I cannot understand... 🙁

Edit:
If I run the CTCM.exe, it actually says: "Found Creative Plug and Play card: Creative Vibra16S PnP. Sucessfully configured 3 of 3 Ctreative plug and Play devices. BLASTER environment is set at: A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6".
If I run after that the diagnose.exe, everything works just fine! What's going on here guys? 😵

Last edited by GeorgeMan on 2013-11-06, 13:15. Edited 1 time in total.

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 3 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi GeorgeMan!

I did a video guide a while ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GSYgarPs4

It shows you all the steps.

But best is to remove all Sound Blaster entries from CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT first. Also deltree any Sound Blaster folders and start this installation from scratch 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While searching yesterday I saw your video 😁
I tried exactly what you said: Deltree the driver directory and remove all relevant entries from these two files.
I installed the sound card with the drivers I found here and 2-3 weeks ago it worked good, but now...

I found one solution:
If I copy the ctcm utility on the hdd and add a line on the autoexec.bat file to run every time DOS starts, the sound is working!
But obviously it's not optimal as I have some lines that didn't need to be there...

Do you have any clue what is going wrong with my sound card and desperately needs the ctcm every single time?

Reply 5 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well it obviously is a proper PnP card 😀

Did SETUP ask for the CTCM directory like in my video? It then copies it to C:\CTCM and puts in the right lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT

But hey it works, so who cares 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, in my driver version it didn't ask.
On the floppy where the ctcm utility exists, there is an install.exe file that installs the CTCM utility, but it asks for "Configuration Manager Installation Disk" and I don't know where to point to.

Edit: Found!
I must point to where I extracted the SBBASIC.exe file... Now it seems that everything is installed correctly, but something seems to have messed up! :p
I have sound, but it complains: "MIX0007: Blaster environment not set or incomplete or invalid".
I think I will do the installation from scratch once again.

Reply 7 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea starting from scratch is often the best way to fix issues like these.

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just finished installing it again.
It works at last!

Maybe I should buy a NON pnp sound card for this system and reserve this for a Pentium-133 Windows 95 machine :p

Thanks for your help! The video guides are awesome 😁

Reply 10 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a CT2890 with OPL chip, FYI. 😉

Reply 11 of 12, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it seems you've been getting bad install disks or incomplete sets from bad sources... you should download my "ultimate CD" ISO from the vogons drivers site which includes the latest apps, utilities, and drivers for any 16-bit sound blaster... it has the latest and greatest CTCM which should work reliably too

Reply 12 of 12, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you provide a link please?

The drivers I used are found here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=33