VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got my voodoo 5 in the mail and I'm currently reinstalling Windows 98 so that I have a clean system to run it with. Are there any standard cleaning/refurbishing steps that I should think about performing with this card?

So far it seems to be running alright, but as Windows is still installing, I haven't yet had a chance to put it through its paces.

Are there any games (or demos, should I not own them yet) that would really push this card to show off its muscle? I'm guessing I don't need to go beyond DX 8 or 8.1 for this system. I'm going to install using the V5 driver CD that's in the vogons drivers site, but I'll also eventually install the latest drivers that I found at falconfly if I need to.

Any suggestions?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just scrub it with a anti static brush or any horse hair brush to rid of the dust. Make sure that the fans are in good shape so none of them lock up while in use and there isn't much else to it. Personally I would upgrade the cooling but that it is up to you to decide.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 4, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DirectX 8 is when per-pixel shading started. 3dfx never released a card with hardware "transform & lighting (T&L)" which is DirectX 7. So the last version which should support all of the features is DirectX 6.

It's so sad. I really wish they were still around.