VOGONS

First post, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed one thing when I was recording, the fm synth on windows sound different on dos 😮
I runned both at the same time and only one music was listened (so it may be the same chip doing the sounds)

here is the demo comparing doom 2 intro played at doom95(windows) and doom2(dos)
http://www.mediafire.com/?89p3neccit6hut2

The dos version sounds like a sound blaster 16 opl3 but the windows version sounds different 😮

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Windows version (Doom95) is going through the MIDI Mapper which feeds into the OPL3 MIDI Synthesizer windows driver in this case. That has a different timbres set than the one Doom provides for its Adlib support (which goes directly to port 0x388 and not through a Windows driver). You can get the DOS version to sound the same as Doom95 if you choose General MIDI in setup 😀

There ARE Windows Doom source ports that can use the OPL3 natively 😀 Chocolate Doom is one of them....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm I founded another thing at warcraft 2 music setup.
If I set most of the options it'll sound the same, but if I set Ess technology enhanced (es1688,es1788,es1888) it'll sounds like it sounds on windows...
Well, if I set general midi I'll set the wavetable out xD