VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I got another BX440 slot 1 motherboard. Caps are fine, visual inspection is fine, looks to be in good condition. Insert a CPU, some RAM and a AGP video card and turn it on. PSU fan just spins for a moment then shuts down.

I reseat everything a few times. Just before declaring it DOA I try another PSU and it comes to life.

The PSU that it doesn't POST with is a quality XFX 450W. The PSU it POSTs with is a Gigabyte 420W that comes with Gigabyte cases.

While I'm happy that the board is working I'm wondering why the XFX shuts off. Is there some test a PSU performs before it fully power on?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 4, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my money is on a missing "pwr good" wire and or 3.3v sense lead. or the motherboard in question does NOT supply a pwr good signal, thus telling the "quality" psu to turn off where the gigabyte one doesnt care.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something I've noticed, the board takes quite a while until something on the screen appears. Maybe it's just too slow for these modern PSUs?

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The board features jumper less configuration so maybe that's why. However after mucking around a bit more, it now starts also with the XFX PSU. Weird.

I got two identical boards coming and will see if they behave the same or not.

My YouTube channel