VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I am returning on the subject because I thought I found a good solution but apparently not...
As you might know, the stock windows MPU401 driver allows only 1 program to access the mpu at a given time. This gets bothersome soon.
So after searching I found 2 solutions , 2 drivers that allow multiple programs to access the MPU device:

a. the Twelve Tone Systems MPU401 driver
It is bundled with every copy older of Cakewalk for windows, I had a v9 CD and the driver files are on the root of the installation files, just remove the stock MS driver, point the installation wizard to the cd and presto! you have some old-type system.ini based driver that does not appear on Device Manager but allows multiple clients. Works fine for windows programs.

b. the patched driver bundled with GS PANEL
same system.ini loading idea, works fine in windows programs.

But both solutions suffer when you try to launch a DOS application, for example a game that has been set up to use the MPU. There is a windows error that informs the user that the MPU is in use by windows. Surprisingly with the Cakewalk driver, this only happens the first time you try and use a DOS application: once you get the error and click OK, you can launch all the DOS apps you want without problems.

So I don't really like any driver... better than the stock for sure but DOS-from-windows suffers... Maybe someone here knows more or have some tips regadring the matter? It seems like something that had a good solution at a time but now it's "lost knowledge" 😵
Any info will be greatly appreciated, TIA! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website