VOGONS

486 stuck at Updating ESCD...

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Redirect any questions you may have concerning your motherboard to this thread. I don't want to hijack the 12887 mod thread.
Yes, you can probably use a reflash as well. Refer to the World's Fastest 486 link for my custom manual for this motherboard and my custom BIOS. But you need to get your RTC working still.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Redirect any questions you may have concerning your motherboard to this thread. I don't want to hijack the 12887 mod thread.
Yes, you can probably use a reflash as well. Refer to the World's Fastest 486 link for my custom manual for this motherboard and my custom BIOS. But you need to get your RTC working still.

Thanks, will do 😀

BIOS version:

s64NnZj.png

Image of motherboard:

Qjjc5ylh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Qjjc5yl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YP27eH7.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are using an old BIOS revision. Did that "FLASH"-branded BIOS chip come with this motherboard? In the 8 or so of these boards which have crossed my path, I have never seen that particular BIOS chip brand in this motherboard, so I am curious as to its origin.

I suggest you read my PDF manual on this motherboard and flash the BIOS. The "I" on your BIOS revision indicates that it is the Intel variant of the BIOS, so 12 V to the chip. My hacked BIOS is intended for the SST, Winbond, etc variant which runs at 5V though. I'm not sure if it is OK to use this BIOS revision on an "I" chip. You can use an SST or Winbond BIOS in this motherboard though. There is a jumper on the board to select a 5V or 12V BIOS.

Given the datecode on your chipsets, this is one of the older version 2's for this motherboard. One of your FSB jumper pins is shorted. Some version 2's came with a header here. If you are interested in experimenting with all the FSB combinations this motherboard has to offer, you might want to solder in a header here as well.

I've also included detailed instructions on how to modify this motherboard's voltage regulator circuit to allow for a variable 3.0 - 4.0 V to the CPU. The PDF is in this link, Modifying your motherboard's voltage regulator for overclocking

I haven't yet created an article on how to add 1024K to this motherboard because it is not yet perfected. While it works, I had to reduce the cache timing to 3-1-1-1 for good stability. I want to add some buffers, which will take around 140 solder connections, to hopefully help with this limitation. Unfortunately, all my gear is well packed away now and I do not anticipate having time to work on this for a long time. I've attached some images of my past progress though. It passes Speedsys, Memtest and all benchmarks with 3-1-1-1 and a 33 MHz FSB. All tests indicate that 1024K is indeed working, but 3-1-1-1 is not good enough for me.

Attachments

• Biostar_1024K_08.jpg
    Filename
    Biostar_1024K_08.jpg
    File size
    104.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Biostar_1024K_06.jpg
    Filename
    Biostar_1024K_06.jpg
    File size
    107.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you for the detailed information 😀

I have no interest in overclocking / tweaking. I'm happy to get the system running with 256KB Cache. 4, 8 or 16MB memory is all it will be running.

I made some closer images of the sticker that was on the BIOS chip and the chip itself. Yes that chip came with the board.

bULA2dOh.jpg

nQjKddCh.jpg

wNhVKxOh.jpg

I have an external programmer. W29C02C-90Z, would that be a suitable BIOS chip for this board?

My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Removing that soldered jumper does not just allow for overclocking, it also allows you to run the FSB at 20 MHz or 50 MHz.

If you want to update your BIOS, do you have any Winbond W29EE011-15 or SST PH29EE010-150-3CF BIOS chips? These are some of the more common 5V BIOS chips I've tested in this board. Among other things, the updated BIOS also lets you set L2 cache into write-thru mode.

Reply 26 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd have to source these chips from eBay...

I searched up that Intel chips and it's a 1mbit chip. What about this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WINBOND-W29EE011-W … 669e2200&_uhb=1

My YouTube channel