VOGONS

First post, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

D3830-60003.jpg
Not my image, as I'm bad at taking pictures, but its the exact one, model and all, D3830-60003.

So I came across this Socket 7 motherboard today in a pile, along with another three the same type.
I originally mistook this as an SBC, but later found it is the mainboard in the HP Vectra VL/5.

Uses AT-style power supply, I believe.

Strangely enough, it uses a DIP switch, instead of jumpers, to set the CPU Clock Frequency, between 120MHz and 200MHz.
It requires a COAST module for L2 cache, which unfortunately I do not have. How will this affect the machines performance?

I also notice there are not expansion slots whatsoever, so the connector on the top of the motherboard must be used to connect to a backboard that housed expansion slots.
Do I actually need this for operation? It appears that mostly everything is onboard that is required for operation. Have PS/2 KB/M, two serial ports, one parallel port, and DE-15 VGA out
with the graphics hardware actually being an S3 Trio64V2/DX, with 1MB VRAM. Also real bizarre is two USB ports. Being a 94/95 era board, this is pretty interesting. Also, instead of a PC-Speaker, there is an interesting piezo tweeter onboard in a weird square shape. In the image its above the SIMM slots.
Also below the ZIF Socket for the CPU is a header for a Voltage Regulator Module. VRMs are only required for certain CPUs, right? How can I tell which CPU would require it?

The only Socket 7 CPUs I have lying around are a Pentium MMX 233, an AMD K6-2-CXT (up to 500MHz), and a Pentium Classic 100. The latter two aren't technically Socket 7, but they work in the socket (they're Super Socket 7 and Socket 5, respectively).

Would it be worth the time and effort trying to build a rig using these boards? Should I go back and grab the other three similar boards? On one of the other boards, the video solution is a Cirrus Logic chip instead of S3, but otherwise appeared all the same. Also, anywhere I could look for a Vectra manual? as HP no longer has them archived and I have trouble finding one.

Thanks in advance.

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 1 of 5, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This can be a worthwhile system if you don't plan to add too much to it. The biggest problem you have is that there isn't any onboard sound and you're missing the expansion card riser board to allow you to add one.

I actually have a Vectra that I use as a server, but it's a P3-500. Pretty reliable.

Reply 2 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are having trouble finding an AT power supply, you can buy a brand new Athena Tech 300watt from Newegg for around $20 and I am not sure about the VRM but I would assume it would be for Pentium mmx cpu's with split rail voltage. The older pentiums ran off of a single voltage and latter ones required two different voltages. Hope I could help a bit! they are interesting boards, hold on to them for sure. After a quick ebay search I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D3659B-HP-MEMORY-RAM- … =item2c75a5d135

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also the k6-2 is unlikely to work as it is a SS7 cpu, the 233mhz mmx should work with the VRM, might without it. for now I would say stick your 100mhz classic in there to be safe. Finding the backboard is the major problem with this setup, along with the proprietary case.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 5, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such an old thread. If anyone happens to stumble over such a Vectra mobo, it doesn't work without a VRM. It's needed to convert 5V to 3.5V and lower for Vcc and Vdd. Although it could run with a few jumpers instead of a VRM if the PSU had a P10 aux connector with +3.3V like HP did.

That's not the greatest 430HX board you can find, but quite decent anyway,

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 5 of 5, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Digging again this message for completeness in case someone need any information about this card.
It was used in the revised Vectra VL/5 and XA/5 Series 5 very similar with the previous Vectra VL/5 and XA/5 Series 4 line of products. The motherboard was used in the desktop and minitower versions. The difference being the daugtherboard with ISA and PCI ports being different with less ports on the desktop version.
The Series 4 had a i430FX chipset and the Series 5 replace it with a i430HX adding among other things, the ability to manage an additional PCI port, embedded USB 1.0 and Pentium MMX support up to 233 MHz (compared to 200 MHz previously). Another upgrade for the equipped motherboards only is the embedded video chipset is upgraded from a S3 Trio64 to a S3 Trio64V2 still expandable from 1 MB to 2 MB of VRAM. The PSU connects the 3.3V live near the CPU and for Pentium processors, only a passthrough is needed but for Pentium MMX, a 2.8V VRM is required so with no passthrough or VRM the card will not work. Pentium MMX 266 MHz are not supported officially as the board cannot set that frequency and there were no 1.9V VRM produced by HP. That said, the VRM port is compatible with the Intel specs. In both Series 4 and 5 only 64 MB of RAM is cacheable, that is done with with L2 160-pin 512 KB of synchronous cache module. To my knowledge, as I have only both, 256 KB and 512 KB modules, I think only those size where officially produced and are used since the Vectra i80486.
The power connector is not AT compatible, but HP proprietary. Additionally, on some variants a 3.3V power connector can also be plugged in the ports expansion daughterboard (riser) to feed the cards.
What is nice with the HP motherboards of this era is that the card is inserted by sliding it through plastic rails and is then locked into position with a lever.
What is less nice, is that apart from the standardized I/O connectors, every other connector is proprietary from the PSU to the front panel passing by the fans.
So without the rest of the computer it is quite useless. Finally this Vectra/Kayak computers parts were build to last as they are almost indestructible using very high quality electronic components and are quite hard to find this days.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.