VOGONS

First post, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inspired by this thread DVD accelerators compared I decided to test some of my graphics cards (in Win98SE) which are supposed to support (partial) MPEG-2 decoding in hardware. These are a ATI Rage Pro and a S3 Savage4, both should be supported by e.g. PowerDVD for decoding DVD video, at least the readme file says so.
But, as hard as I tried - it simply doesn't work. PowerDVD (version 2.5) always tells me that a "Video accelerator" is "not detected", the "enable hardware acceleration" box in the settings panel is greyed out and DVD playback is a bit choppy on my K6-III/400. I tested several drivers for each card, even installed the DVD Player software (3.2.0.1) for the Rage Pro - no success. The ATI DVD Player doesn't even start to play (tells me that either I have no soundcard, overlay not available or not enough video memory). A later version (5.0) works but is even slower than PowerDVD.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on here. Maybe someone here has some hints for me? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you use the driver that is on the same disk as the Ati DVD player?

Your DVD drive has DMA enabled?

The K6-3 400 should already run DVDs flawless in software decoding mode.

Tried 16, 24 and 32 bit color depth?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 2, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

Did you use the driver that is on the same disk as the Ati DVD player?

Yes, I did. I tried an older driver disk which had 3.2.0.1 on it and a newer one with ATI Multimedia Center 7 (I think) on it. Both had the same problem.

elianda wrote:

Your DVD drive has DMA enabled?

Yes, it has.

elianda wrote:

The K6-3 400 should already run DVDs flawless in software decoding mode.

True, but this is more like a "getting the specialized hardware to do the job" experiment.

elianda wrote:

Tried 16, 24 and 32 bit color depth?

Yes, no difference here as well.
I also tried using a clean Win98SE installation with a bare minimum of hardware installed (ATI Rage Pro, Soundcard). Again, no success.