VOGONS

First post, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Am486 DX4 rated at 100Mhz and it shows up at posting that it's 100Mhz but I have reservations that it is really running at that speed. So I am wondering if there is software either for Windows 3.11 or DOS 6.22 to find out what speed the CPU is actually running at and perhaps other useful hardware infomation. That way I might be able to fine tune the perfomance with the countless jumper settings located all over my motherboard.

Is there any decent software that can show the true speeds which the CPU is actually running at for these old machines?

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always run a benchmark and compare it with other systems 😀

Is it a ISA, VLB or PCI system? What graphics card?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

You can always run a benchmark and compare it with other systems 😀

Is it a ISA, VLB or PCI system? What graphics card?

It's a VLB system, I wish it was PCI, would have been cool to see how it would perform with a Voodoo or something inside. 🤣

The motherboard suggests it's maximum jumper setting is 50Mhz, half the speed of the CPU installed.

Reply 5 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣

That's the FSB (Front side bus) or bus speed 😀

Set it back to 33 and the multiplier to 3x.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a program called maxspeed.exe which claims to measure the speed of the CPU while it is running. It came out in 1991, so I'm not sure how precise it is beyond a DX2-66. Refer to the screenshots on page 3 of The World's Fastest 486 link. It measured my Cyrix 5x86-133 at between 121 and 138 MHz, with a strong affinity towards 121 MHz.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest Speedsys 4.78 seems to be a bit hard to find nowadays, so I attached it to this post...

Attachments

• Filename
    Speedsys 4.78.rar
    File size
    109.97 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception