VOGONS

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have basically all the parts I need to build my 5x86 system on an ASUS PVI-486SP3 board. But...I can't find a case that is not plain ugly or too big.

Is there a place I can find AT-class cases other than eBay or here:

http://www.pcrproinc.com/servlet/the-COMPUTER … LIES/Categories

?? The latter look so plain. I am trying to rebuild the PC I had in 1996 and it was in the black version of this case (which I missed on eBay):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentium-S-75MHz-ISA-P … cvip=true&rt=nc

It need not be black, or even a tower, really. But if it's a tower I'd want it not larger than that. BTW is that pictured a mid or mini tower? Mid, I think, yes?

Thanks.

bp

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot

Reply 1 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First link, i know that seller.. Had previous year(s) an ebay account.. But now it seems he`s gone from ebay..
He had ripped me off with an AT case when i bought from him.(shipping costs where really high, but really wanted that case so much) Thought he would send it, but it never arrived here.. Its the biggest liar i ever have seen..

Shouldnt recommend hin to buy an AT case from him.. If you live in his
neighborhood you could do it, only beware on loosing your money!.

I think you cant get to greedy or wanting the best case in these days.. Those case are almost rare as it is.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this case looks like a classic AT midi tower one... black color was rare though back then, shouldn't be that hard to get one in the US

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 9, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems hard...

Reply 5 of 9, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Blake...nice to see you slumming it around these parts. You sure this 486 system won't smell up your basement next to all those glorious Apple and Amiga machines?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 6 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AT cases are something we all want. If you find a source, you're probably better off to keep it to yourself or else there won't be any left the next time you need one if you spread it around here.

Reply 7 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AT cases are the hardest to acquire in my opinion. Ofc it depends were you live. I guess if your place of residence is the US or Germany with a huge domestic marked on Ebay it's a bit easier and also not pay too much in shipping costs.

All my cases I've acquired by searching local ads and buying the whole system for 10-20 dollars with another 20 dollars in shipping. I live in a country with only 5 millions inhabitants so I've picked up every AT case I've come over the last year. So far I've gotten two in 2013 (see my latest post in "bought this retro hardware today). I saw a third when I was helping my dad throwing away some stuff at the recycling station. I asked the guys working there if I could have the case as it was rare, but they refused as the harddrive "could contain personal pictures". I had no tools with me to open the case and remove the harddrive so it was pointless to argue. Luckily the case only contained a Pentium MMX system as far as I could see, so the hardware itself wasnt a big deal.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 9, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vets wrote:

... So far I've gotten two in 2013 (see my latest post in "bought this retro hardware today). ...

Oh nice! This is _exactly_ the case I'd love, as I had the black version of this long ago.

download/file.php?id=13326

Do you know what the name of the case is? I know a number of vendors used them, but I'd love to know what name identifies this case. I just missed one on eBay, here...

Thanks.

bp

Reply 9 of 9, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know here where I am, I give my card to all the local thrift shops and tell them "I buy old computers" because most times anything more than 2-3 years old they think is "junk" and they scrap them.

I can usually get 3-4 of those "junk" machines for $10-$20....skeletize them, keep the good stuff, and add the remainder to my inventory at the shop.

I generally get several calls a year from some local manufacturing plant referral that has some ancient AT-class PC on their shop floor that needs fixing, and I just happen to usually have the outdated parts that I'm happy to sell them + a service call.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...