VOGONS

New AT power supply

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are three types of ATX PSUs. First were the original 20-pin models without the +12V 4-pin connector (Otherwise known as the "P4" connector) that were released with the first Intel ATX motherboards that had the LX chipset. Then came the 20-pin ATX PSUs with the "P4" connector. Then, finally what we have today, the 24-pin ATX PSU. (There are probably official qualifying revision numbers, I just don't know them).

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I want to point out that:
a) I'm pretty sure -ALL- the original ATX PSUs had the -5V...
b) A lot of, but not all of the "P4" ATX PSUs had the -5V
c) You may find this difficult to believe, but *some* 24-pin "modern" PSUs do have a -5V rail. An example of this would be the InWin IP-P350AJ2-0 (Branded as "Power Man"), which I have in my possesion. Why on earth they would do this is beyond me, perhaps they just left it in from an old design.

and the 2nd being that ATX PSU's lack the connection to connect up your good old CRT monitor directly to the PSU

I present to you the (fully functional and re-capped) Aopen Z350-08ATA (This is a modern 24-pin ATX PSU, but based on the old design with very capable 20A 3 and 5-volt rails and a relatively weak 8A and 14A dual 12v rails):

Filename
z350 0012.jpg
File size
227.22 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
z350 0052.jpg
File size
199.99 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...but I've never seen the combination of two (-5V and supplementary connector on the back)

Not sure what brand the 2 primary caps are sorry.

The brand is Kuang Jin. Wouldn't trust their caps as secondary input filtering caps, but they should be just fine in your case as primaries.

Reply 21 of 23, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, yeah I was referring to modern ATX PSU's still being sold today. I should've been more specific sorry. I just briefly checked out the InWin PSU you mentioned. How is it overall and is it readily available to purchase new? -5v is quite rare on a modern ATX PSU. Shame it doesn't have the rear connection. I've never seen a combination of both either unfortunately. I'm sure if there was one available they'd be sold out in no time as fans of retro hardware would be all over them.

Reply 22 of 23, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

InWins in general are decent. They have adequate input protection, IC-based 5VSB rail, and sufficient secondary filtering. This model's only caveat is that it uses all OST caps (All 16 of them are RLP series plus two primary RGU series caps). In fact, that's why I have had the PCB here sitting in the re-cap pile for a while now.

You might be able to find some NOS or used models... The newer InWin models might also have the -5V rail, but I don't know for sure.

Reply 23 of 23, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

... here are the photos for the Startech 230Watt AT PSU.

^ Quite decent for an AT, it even has a MOV (yellow 'TVR 471' thing on two legs besides the bridge rectifier). Caps could be better but at least they are new and should work OK for some years.

Let the air flow!