A tale of two PSUs

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 472, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

totally unrelated to PSUs but I am in the process of recapping an arcade monitor (well... it does have an onboard PSU 🤣 )

It uses a mix of Daewoo RSS/RS , Chemicon SMG/SME and Samsung GL/GH capacitors. So I searched for the capacitor datasheets that I could find (chemicon SME / SMG and Daewoo RSS series) and it seems that all are general purpose 2000hrs/85degrees ones.
I can order Nichicon PX, CS and VZ (for the smaller uf ones) caps, do you think they will be a good replacement for the original general purpose ones?

I would #1 upgrade to 105˚C caps as they last longer at any given operating temp and #2 upgrade to entry level low ESR caps such as Panasonic FC, Nichicon PW or PM, Chemicon LXZ and similar as they don't usually cost more and don't hurt anything. Also any leftovers are more likely to be useful for other projects.
If you show me where you shop I can poke around and make specific suggestions. (Replies will be slow and spotty today. Wife unexpectedly got the day off.)

You did a good job of cleaning that up. Looked awful in your before photo.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 281 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks PCBONEZ , yeah it was in a horrible state... the before picture is actually AFTER a first stage cleaning with compressed air and a paintbrush...
The caps I chose are ofcourse 105˚C - no point in getting 85ers nowdays I think...
Here is where I am thinking of ordering: http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/passives_112309/ … rder=ASC&page=1 , TME.EU ... if my VISA does not pass the "accursed capital controls barrier" then my brother in Germany can easily order for me as he gets work stuff from there all the time.
But they only have Nichicons that match the criteria from what I saw... I just don't trust the other choices the site is presenting.

Maybe I should consider ordering elsewhere, they do pile up to ~40eur per monitor and there are at least 2 of them I need to recap ... so don't think of it too much if TME has limiting choices - I am open to suggestions. As a sidenote I should point in my picture that C108 is a snap-in one...

I've spent a couple of years finding a good arcade cabinet here and I'm not gonna let some ancient caps ruin it for me 🤣

TIA for the help, always nice to have knowledge by your side 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 282 of 472, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Thanks PCBONEZ , yeah it was in a horrible state... the before picture is actually AFTER a first stage cleaning with compressed […]
Show full quote

Thanks PCBONEZ , yeah it was in a horrible state... the before picture is actually AFTER a first stage cleaning with compressed air and a paintbrush...
The caps I chose are ofcourse 105˚C - no point in getting 85ers nowdays I think...
Here is where I am thinking of ordering: http://www.tme.eu/en/katalog/passives_112309/ … rder=ASC&page=1 , TME.EU ... if my VISA does not pass the "accursed capital controls barrier" then my brother in Germany can easily order for me as he gets work stuff from there all the time.
But they only have Nichicons that match the criteria from what I saw... I just don't trust the other choices the site is presenting.

Maybe I should consider ordering elsewhere, they do pile up to ~40eur per monitor and there are at least 2 of them I need to recap ... so don't think of it too much if TME has limiting choices - I am open to suggestions. As a sidenote I should point in my picture that C108 is a snap-in one...

I've spent a couple of years finding a good arcade cabinet here and I'm not gonna let some ancient caps ruin it for me 🤣

TIA for the help, always nice to have knowledge by your side 😀

Bearing in mind I'm generalizing and not actually checking datasheets right now.

I did a quick check of the 220uF 25v just to see what they have and so far as what's actually in stock they do have Panasonic FC in addition to several Nichicons.
The Panasonic have a lower minimum order quantity so if that's true for other sizes that might help out on the total bill.
Remember it's okay to up in voltage so, for example, if you need a 25v then search both 25v and 35v (and if it's a tough one 50v). Gives more search results.

The search I did came up with these in stock for that size. (Not counting the series you already mentioned.)
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/eeufc1v221l/tht- … ors/panasonic/#
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/eeufc1v221/tht-l … ors/panasonic/#
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/upw1e221mpd/tht- … tors/nichicon/#
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/upw1v221mpd/tht- … tors/nichicon/#
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/upw1v221mpd6/tht … tors/nichicon/#
Nichicon PS (another entry level low ESR choice) was also listed, just not in stock. Might have them in other sizes.

And as the originals were General Purpose the Nichicon VZ series should be fine.
I use those as a last choice to replace GP caps when I can't find something in an entry level low ESR variety.

If RS Components services Greece that would be another place to look.
The author of Capacitor Lab http://www.capacitorlab.com/ is a Badcaps.net member who created that site to support BCN.
IIRC he is in Greece and he orders from RS now and then.
Let me know if you run across any problem caps. Meaning ones you can't find.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 283 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks so much, I did not get a single Panasonic option but I only looked for the same voltage ratings since some caps are related to image adjustments and didn't want to fluctuate from the specs much (hopefully). Then again I did not look at the low impedance category, I just searched in "105°C THT Electrolytic Capacitors".
Having FCs for example won't make things go crazy like psu oscillation etc , right? I also have in hand several chemicon KY/KZH/KZE caps in hand, what is your take on them for this specific job?

Are the series posted here for PSU reasons safe for the monitor ?

Chemicon LXY, LXZ, LXV, KY, KZE Nichicon PW, PS, PM, PL, PJ, HE, HD Panasonic FC, FK, FR, FM Samxon RS Sanyo WX Rubycon ZL, ZLG, […]
Show full quote

Chemicon LXY, LXZ, LXV, KY, KZE
Nichicon PW, PS, PM, PL, PJ, HE, HD
Panasonic FC, FK, FR, FM
Samxon RS
Sanyo WX
Rubycon ZL, ZLG, YXG, YXF

Apparently there is a RS dealer in Athens , I will have to check them to see if they have stuff in stock or just a small part of it...
thanks again for the tips/help! really appreciated!

ps. I am really serious with this monitor job, it should be good so it can hold for the years to come - replacing it is not an easy job 😊 all that low-res goodness is just great 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 284 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does this look? pricey but I don't think it can be done otherwise... any improvements I should make? I also took into account availability and went in a general order of: Panasonic FC -> Nichicon PW -> whatever best I could see 🤣

pF3PH0r.png

Reply 285 of 472, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks good with the following notes:

The 220uF 400v probably doesn't need replaced at all.
It is on the AC input power so it won't affect signal/image quality and short of getting hit with power surge they almost never go bad.
If the original does not look bloated I would not bother replacing it.

The 10uv 100v BT series would work but when I looked it showed a minimum order of 25pc and none in stock.
The Nichicon VZ or PW series are shown in stock and will work for that but it's still a minimum order of 25pc.

The 4.7 250v NHG is an appropriate cap but it is not showing up for me when I search that site.
The VZ, PW and PS series would all work too but they have the 25pc minimum.

On projects like this that need a wide range of caps it's not too unusual to have to source from more than one place to find all you need. Just comes with the territory.

When I suggested RS I actually meant mail order. http://gr.rsdelivers.com/

There is also Farnell which is aka Element 14 in some places.
http://uk.farnell.com/
They don't list an outlet in Greece but they do list two authorized distributors.
http://eleknode.com/elhome.php
http://nettop.gr/index.php/farnell-element14

Reply 286 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

excellent!
These caps in the picture are all in stock , apparently we are getting UK stock. All check out for immediate dispatch here. I get the greek edition of the site - there is no local stock at all but a fixed 5eur shipping fee from UK _or_ free if you wait ~10days and you pick the order from Athens which is not an option for me.

- the 220uf/400v was originally a chemicon one and it is domed. It has plastic instead of the aluminum top and it is not flat. For peace of mind I want to replace it 😀

- regarding the 10uf/100v: PW series are available immediately, I suppose I will replace the BT with them: http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/nichicon/upw … es/7153019.aspx

- regarding 4.7uf/250v: in stock are NHG (2.90eur), Rubycon BXC (4eur) and Panasonic M (3eur) . I have no problem ordering either - is BXC a better option?

Farnell IIRC has some crazy shipping to Greece last time I checked , their local "distributors" stock is very limited to boards/adruinos/pi/stuff like that... there is a lack of options here if you don't want to use LeLon caps that are EVERYWHERE 🤣
TBH if the basket above works with corrections I'll go ahead and order from RS , I prefer a single place for all 😀

Thanks so much for the help PCBONEZ!

ps. I also wanted a bipolar 4.7uf/50v for a 1084 I recaped (this fixed all it's issues!) but it seems that Panasonic SU caps are out of stock. I can't find another make/series that are bipolar , what am I searching wrong?! 😀

Reply 287 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

....and here is something PSU related, a JAMMA psu 🤣

nzkVE2l.jpg

ONVFpBk.jpg

GQ9WXAA.jpg

EuIlZXu.jpg

njd4V53.jpg

It has a mix of (what I assume) crap caps and Panasonic SU series:

hiewHMp.jpg

this needs to be redone! 🤣 , here is what I am thinking:

- C1 and C2 "MIEC" brand ... replace with Nichicon CS that are resonably priced at 2.88eur each? Yay or Nay?

- C26 1000uf 10v "GIANT" , replace with Chemicon KYA of the same rating that I have in my stash?

- C24 3300uf 10v "ELGEN M" , replace with Chemicon KZH of the same rating that I have in my stash?

Now for the SU caps... do I replace them? Maybe replace the big ones and leave the small 2.2uf and 47uf as-is? I do have at hand these: 2200uf/25v Chemicon KZH , 100uf/63v Panasonic FC , 47uf/16v Chemicon LXY and KMG and lastly KMGs for the 2.2uf/50v ones.
What should I do? Replace all but Panasonics? Replace Panasonics too? Keep the 220uf/200v MIECs and just replace all non-Panasonic?
I lean towards replacing the MIECs and use the ones I have here to replace everything else, but maybe I am getting paranoid at this point 😵

Reply 288 of 472, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

- the 220uf/400v was originally a chemicon one and it is domed. It has plastic instead of the aluminum top and it is not flat. For peace of mind I want to replace it 😀

No. That's an illusion. The cap itself is not plastic.

Frequently they install a plastic disc on top of those "beer can" caps held on by tucking the edges under the plastic sleeving on the sides.
The intention is as an insulator so the cap doesn't short out something nearby. Only matters in some applications.
Those discs will often 'belly-up' when the aluminum top of the cap underneath is perfectly flat.
In other words there can be an air-gap between the disc and the top of the actual cap.
If you can push the disc down flat with your finger(s) (or whatever) then the cap underneath it is not bloated.

It may take a tad more force than you would expect because the sleeve retaining it all the way around causes the discs to resist going back flat and some of the discs are thick.
Just don't get ridiculous.
I will look at the rest in a little bit. Have to go do something.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-18, 08:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 289 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, it's a cover so you don't get shocked if you happen to accidentaly touch the metal top when the psu in ON ... I had a second look at it, here it is:

1CIoe1c.jpg

really appreciate the input BCBONEZ 😀

Reply 291 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ search ebay for "capacitor meter" you'll get plenty like this or similar
it's actually handy as it measures lots of stuff , it even autodetects the component , capacitors, resistors, diodes, etc

Reply 292 of 472, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ESR is different at different frequencies..
Datasheets for motherboard/PC grade caps show ESR at 100kHz.
Datasheets for general purpose caps show ESR at 100 or 120Hz. (Twice line frequency.)
There are conversion factors but that means math when taking readings. OH NO!
Unless you like using a calculator for ESR readings it's best to find an ESR meter with a test frequency that matches the datasheets you will most often use.
For me personally that's 100kHz.

IDK if that meter has a 100kHz test frequency but it looks like it would be very handy and useful for other things even if it doesn't.
An auto-ranging capacitance meter is very handy and hard to find at a reasonable price. Even harder if you want one that shows 4 digits.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-18, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 293 of 472, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

excellent!
These caps in the picture are all in stock , apparently we are getting UK stock. All check out for immediate dispatch here. I get the greek edition of the site - there is no local stock at all but a fixed 5eur shipping fee from UK _or_ free if you wait ~10days and you pick the order from Athens which is not an option for me.
TBH if the basket above works with corrections I'll go ahead and order from RS , I prefer a single place for all 😀

Ah! You switched to RS. I thought you were still looking at TME. This explains why some didn't show up when I looked.

keropi wrote:

- regarding the 10uf/100v: PW series are available immediately, I suppose I will replace the BT with them: http://gr.rsdelivers.com/product/nichicon/upw … es/7153019.aspx

- regarding 4.7uf/250v: in stock are NHG (2.90eur), Rubycon BXC (4eur) and Panasonic M (3eur) . I have no problem ordering either - is BXC a better option?

220uf/400v - Covered in earlier post. Replacing is up to you.
10uf/100v - PW series is fine.
4.7uf/250v - Panasonic M is only 85°C and the NHG handles more ripple than the BXC so I would stay with the NHG.
{The datasheets show ripple at 120Hz for NHG and 100kHz for BXC. You have to use the multiplier to get them both at 120Hz to compare. After you do the BXC is 32 mA and the NHG is 50mA. That's a big difference and the NHG is better.)

keropi wrote:

ps. I also wanted a bipolar 4.7uf/50v for a 1084 I recaped (this fixed all it's issues!) but it seems that Panasonic SU caps are out of stock. I can't find another make/series that are bipolar , what am I searching wrong?! 😀

RS does not appear to have a bipolar cap that will work.
Have not had time to look elsewhere yet.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-18, 11:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 294 of 472, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm considering buying an ISO 400-PP power supply for $16.50 (P&P Included). Proline rebranded these power supplies and sold them on the South African market. From the little info I could find, it seems like they used cheap parts. Worth saving or should I look elsewhere?

Exterior:
$_35.JPG

Interior:
DSCN6014-800.jpg

Specs:
DSCN6017-800.jpg

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 295 of 472, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ see this PDF that is the schematic this thing is made of: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/164 … ter_eng104k.pdf , at page 40 , chapter 5.3.4 it goes into detail about how it measures ESR . I can't tell if it's a good way or not.

edit:
excellent again! Thanks PCBONEZ , I'll follow your recommendations. Haven't decided about the 400v yet 🤣 , maybe I keep it after all...

Last edited by keropi on 2016-01-18, 11:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 296 of 472, by wave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Evert wrote:
I'm considering buying an ISO 400-PP power supply for $16.50 (P&P Included). Proline rebranded these power supplies and sold the […]
Show full quote

I'm considering buying an ISO 400-PP power supply for $16.50 (P&P Included). Proline rebranded these power supplies and sold them on the South African market. From the little info I could find, it seems like they used cheap parts. Worth saving or should I look elsewhere?

Exterior:
$_35.JPG

Interior:
DSCN6014-800.jpg

Specs:
DSCN6017-800.jpg

Decent platform, but you need to do a full recap and some other minor mods.

Reply 297 of 472, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 24pin ISO 300watt that had to be recapped after the caps bulged and killed a HDD and a stick of ram. They tend to use Fuhjyuu caps from the 24pin 300 and 20pin 250 examples I have run across. After recaps they seem to work ok.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 299 of 472, by wave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have recapped and modded 3 psus from that series. I created a thread about that on badcaps. I will post a link as soon as badcaps is up again 😀