A tale of two PSUs

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 472, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
L&C and Allied are in the category of gutless wonders. Gutless Wonder = PSU that doesn't even come close to living up to it's ad […]
Show full quote
PcBytes wrote:

PCBONEZ - one of the (quite) beefy L&Cs I've seen happen to be the LC-B350ATX models,and generally half of the Allieds use the 2003 design. Newer ones I've seen (such as the 8400BTX) use the 2005 and 2006 designs.

L&C and Allied are in the category of gutless wonders.
Gutless Wonder = PSU that doesn't even come close to living up to it's advertised ratings.
Calling any of them "High End" is hilarious IMO.

I occasionally get L&C or Allied in new cases.
I choose to not spend time fiddling with or rebuilding Gutless Wonders. (Or Yugos.)
I sell them on ebay for $20 shipped just to get them out of my way.
The last one was a LC-B400ATX IIRC. Maybe a 450.

If they are good for you and you like them then more power to ya. Enjoy.
A rebuilt one is probably okay if you overkill the watts ratings by enough margin.

Considering I get them cheap as chips and that most of the parts (except main transformers,I'm not going to replace any because I never had success) are available for me from other broken hardware (PI coils - motherboards have them (some,not all),good caps - also motherboards) then why shouldn't I rebuild Deers? 🤣

Not really a Deer,but the latest PSU I'm rebuilding cost me next to nothing (it was just the guts sans fan,AC wires (L and N)) and I reuse one of my old Deers (which I migrated into a fancier case 😁 )case - a Premier LC-B450E case to be exact. The guts that I'm using though,aren't Deer,but they're from some KME PSU probably,considering it has a SG6105 PWM and Everpower transformers.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 381 of 472, by blacksvk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I have Morex MXR-200PS AT PSU in my Pentium 1 box. It is working fine, but fan is very loud. I would like to know your opinions about this PSU. I really like my Pentium 1 PC, so I want to have good quality PSU. Photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/eSO1E

Reply 382 of 472, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I am finally running my Athlon XP 3200+ with 2GB ram an older Radeon 7200 (for less power drain) on a KT600 board with an Enermax EG 365P VE supply. Voltages are great, even with a Radeon 9500 5v seems stable at 4,97v on bios and no signs of instability. At the plug wall the whole power is around 110W idle and 130 top with the R100 gpu. The R300 one seems to go 20W up.

Reply 383 of 472, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blacksvk wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have Morex MXR-200PS AT PSU in my Pentium 1 box. It is working fine, but fan is very loud. I would like to know your opinions about this PSU. I really like my Pentium 1 PC, so I want to have good quality PSU. Photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/eSO1E

WelI'm not an expert in PSUs, but if I'm not mistaken it uses a diode bridge as a rectifier in the input section instead of an integrated rectifier, and this is already a meh, but it looks nice and well put together, so let's people more knowledgeable than me give a definitive veredict.

Reply 384 of 472, by blacksvk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shiva2004 wrote:
blacksvk wrote:

Hello everyone,

WelI'm not an expert in PSUs, but if I'm not mistaken it uses a diode bridge as a rectifier in the input section instead of an integrated rectifier, and this is already a meh, but it looks nice and well put together, so let's people more knowledgeable than me give a definitive veredict.

thank you, I appreciate your reply.

In the mean time I was looking for alternatives and I have found, that it is still possible to buy brand new AT power supplies. I found these models in my country:
- Fortron SPI-250G http://bulk.fsp-europe.com/spi-250g
- ACE-935AL http://www.qproducts.sk/files/ACE-935AL_Datasheet.pdf
- ACE-932A http://www.qproducts.sk/files/ACE-932A_Datasheet.pdf

Can anyone recommend any of theese new AT power supplies?

Reply 385 of 472, by wave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I had to choose 1 of them I would definitely pick that:

http://bulk.fsp-europe.com/spi-250g

But notice the efficiency. It's just 65%. You shouldn't expect to be a premium quality psu.

Reply 386 of 472, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,thought I might ask this here:

So,I just bought some parts for a retro computer and was wondering if the PSU is enough to run it. The configuration is a 8GB HDD,256MB RAM,MX440 64MB and an ASRock K7VT4A+ with a socket 462 Sempron CPU. The PSU is an Allied AL-8400BTX. It has 1x 6pin PCI-E (for a reason that I can't understand,but oh well),1x SATA,24pin detachable ATX plug,usual Molex and floppy connectors. If needed,I think I can get a few pictures. I also have a few more PSUs if you want to see them. (except my main Allied AL-A400ATX,which I modified a bit,and currently use on a dual core system - E5200,Radeon R7 240 etc.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 387 of 472, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
PcBytes wrote:

Hey guys,thought I might ask this here:

So,I just bought some parts for a retro computer and was wondering if the PSU is enough to run it. The configuration is a 8GB HDD,256MB RAM,MX440 64MB and an ASRock K7VT4A+ with a socket 462 Sempron CPU. The PSU is an Allied AL-8400BTX. It has 1x 6pin PCI-E (for a reason that I can't understand,but oh well),1x SATA,24pin detachable ATX plug,usual Molex and floppy connectors. If needed,I think I can get a few pictures. I also have a few more PSUs if you want to see them. (except my main Allied AL-A400ATX,which I modified a bit,and currently use on a dual core system - E5200,Radeon R7 240 etc.)

start out with this:
PSU calculator
its a good indication of what you might need and give advice what PSU you would need to power it (also advertises with corsair alot)

Reply 388 of 472, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as i know only quality old PSUs are Delta units from workstations (depend on what the OEm brand did want and payed, as some of them want lesser investment so the caps are bad or not very good) (specially Delta PSUs from HP) they have most of the time japan capacitors, nichicon, rubycon, united chemicon, and i never saw one of them with blown capacitors, or the system im using with one to have stability or voltage problems.
EnermaX as well are known to be really good for old machines, i have 400W Liberty semi modular PSU, and is very good 100% stable under Mobile Barton on 2.6GHz real speed and 1.87 vcore, pared with Radeon HD3850 AGP. Only problem with that PSU is EnermaX did xheap out on all capacitors, but only the biggest cap is Japan, and i don`t like that, but still even like that the PSU is behave really nice and stable.

Years ago i did found that 80-90% of all power supply sucks bad they have only trash china capacitors, and that end up the machine to get unstable, restarts that type of crap, so i did look for quality, so far only EnermaX and Delta units from HP computers seems to be very good made, maybe old Fortrons as well ( and i mean Fortron NOT the damn FSP group that is not the same). I did try before Fortrons even some very heavy models like FSP GTF 300 that PSU is nice it can deliver up to 380W of total power no problem 28 amps on the +5V, but the real problem with this type of PSU is the bad capacitors, that restart the system and have instability so no more..

Even an EnermaX models that are all with chinese capacitors are better then FPS group, or similar, as they don`t lack instability...
And the brand new PSU does not worth it, as i get my parts for cheap, and only good new PSU with japan caps will cost 30 times or more the cost of my whole old system...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 389 of 472, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I appreciate quality Japanese caps as much as the next person, they aren't always essential for a good power supply and are not necessarily an indicator of quality. Delta, for example, has made thousands of power supplies which have delivered long service with low failure rates using second tier capacitors for specific purposes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 390 of 472, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

While I appreciate quality Japanese caps as much as the next person, they aren't always essential for a good power supply and are not necessarily an indicator of quality. Delta, for example, has made thousands of power supplies which have delivered long service with low failure rates using second tier capacitors for specific purposes.

I agree, there are many good and reliable power supplies that do not use caps of stellar Japanese brands. As long as the power supply is well designed so that it won't take your whole computer with it in case of failure and it doesn't use abysmal capacitors like Antec did in the early-mid 00's.

There are a few other brands that work well for retro purposes, such as SeaSonic. Also, FSP group power supplies are quite reliable, I wouldn't knock them down for not having japanese capacitors... in fact I'd say some models are ideal for 5V heavy systems.

Reply 391 of 472, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Delta, for example, has made thousands of power supplies which have delivered long service with low failure rates using second tier capacitors for specific purposes.

More likely millions. What I do not like is the slim, special order caps.

Reply 392 of 472, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote:

There are a few other brands that work well for retro purposes, such as SeaSonic. Also, FSP group power supplies are quite reliable, I wouldn't knock them down for not having japanese capacitors... in fact I'd say some models are ideal for 5V heavy systems.

FSP/Fortron/SPI are good. While certainly not guilt, I think they were the best at striking a balance between cost savings and quality. Of course, you can always stick with the upper deck manufacturers - Delta, Zippy, Etasis, and Lite-on for instance.

Reply 393 of 472, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I serviced a Athlon 64x2 HP with a 300watt Lite-On. Mobo died, but that PSU survived daily use with a geforce 8800gt for 5 years. Ended up swapping the dead hp asus board for a "good" ecs board, swapping the 8800 out for a hd6450, and putting it back in service. Lite-On gets a solid 2 thumbs up from me!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 394 of 472, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FSP Group units sucks, specially the old ones, as i did say i did have 3 of them, heavy GTF 300 models they have good fan that is 80mm, and even like that is very quiet, also the PSU is heavy, BUT with the damn junk caps it makes the whole system unstable, restarts, errors and more, so NOT FSP are not brand that it will make the old system run fine. EnermaX PSus are the thing that will do the job or some Delta PSU with japan caps.
But if someone don`t believe you are all free to use the FSP junk and to have problems, i did experience the trash capacitors so no more for me...

Also is every day better to for me at least to use PSU with japan capacitors, as EnermaX is good brand, but the trash caps inside will make a problem one day, and i don`t want that to happen, while Delta PSU with japan caps will take many many years to start making problems. Also replacing the caps on a PSU is very annoying, as you need to pull out the whole board with the cables and to start removing caps is tricky is far from what it is on motherboards, also replacing the caps will take time, money and nerves, so why the hell to spend that instead to get japan caps PSU ???

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 395 of 472, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because many of them are vintage PSUss and will require cap replacement in due course anyway?

Reply 396 of 472, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, it's the design of a power supply that's crucial, since that cannot be changed. Capacitors in PSUs are actually very easy to replace since they're on single sided boards, so unless you have those cramped units with special size capacitors it is even a beginner friendly task. And as gdjacobs said, hardware that is like 20 years old or more will need recapping sooner rather than later, in fact many 90's consoles from Japan that use all-japanese components have started showing capacitor issues, not because they are garbage but because they have a limited lifetime.

Besides, FSP (at least back in the day) used stuff such as Teapo, which may not be stellar but at the same time it's not a guaranteed early failure like Fuhhjyu. I understand you may have had problems with some units, but that is not a big enough sample to say that they "suck".

Reply 398 of 472, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote:

FSP Group units sucks, specially the old ones, as i did say i did have 3 of them, heavy GTF 300 models they have good fan that is 80mm, and even like that is very quiet, also the PSU is heavy, BUT with the damn junk caps it makes the whole system unstable, restarts, errors and more, so NOT FSP are not brand that it will make the old system run fine. EnermaX PSus are the thing that will do the job or some Delta PSU with japan caps.
But if someone don`t believe you are all free to use the FSP junk and to have problems, i did experience the trash capacitors so no more for me...

Also is every day better to for me at least to use PSU with japan capacitors, as EnermaX is good brand, but the trash caps inside will make a problem one day, and i don`t want that to happen, while Delta PSU with japan caps will take many many years to start making problems. Also replacing the caps on a PSU is very annoying, as you need to pull out the whole board with the cables and to start removing caps is tricky is far from what it is on motherboards, also replacing the caps will take time, money and nerves, so why the hell to spend that instead to get japan caps PSU ???

FSP Group units are not junk. At least they were not when they were new and I've used WAY more older units then you have 🤣.
Most of the units I used were actually second hand or even dumpster finds. The main issue is the same as many of the other good quality PSUs of that age or other parts like graphics cards and motherboards...it's their age and not because FSP simply is junk because they are not. They however could be defective due to some aging parts, like your FSP units were perhaps too old and needed maintenance.

I also wouldn't call ALL motherboards with a couple bulging or leaking caps junk and that's it. That's absurd.

gdjacobs wrote:

Because many of them are vintage PSUss and will require cap replacement in due course anyway?

This basically sums it up 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 399 of 472, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a dumpster find I found. Still works! Had a rather nice made molex to P4 connector attached to it and after replacing a couple bulging Fuhgyuu's it seems to work fine.
Anyone tell from my cellphone pics if it is decent enough for a spare for a low-end Slot 1 rig?

Attachments

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1