VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys-

Finally got my Time Machine box up and running. I'm using my AWE64 Gold for wave output (220/7/1/5) in one ISA slot and I'd like to use the second ISA slot with my Ensoniq SoundScape S-2000 for GM output (330).

I've formatted my CF card with a single bootable 8GB FAT32 DOS 7.1 partition, but the problem I have is that I think the SoundScape S-2000 driver executables I've found on the VOGONS drivers site need to be installed using Windows 3.1.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Is there a 'hackish' way around this to avoid a Windows 3.1 install?

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It appears you really need Windows:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980214014059/htt … ww.ensoniq.com/

Go to downloads section.

But chances are someone here as Windows and can run it for you 😀

PS: Don't you have a Sound Canvas you can use with your time-machine?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting...

I notices something the other day when using some Creative disks from the VOGONS driver library. The disks need to have correct LABEL, otherwise the installer complains. Some disks came as image files, but others just as folders which meant you had to manually label each floppy 😀

Maybe the DOS only drivers could be added to the current Ensoniq driver package?

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 11, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

PS: Don't you have a Sound Canvas you can use with your time-machine?

I do have a SCC-1 or SCC-1A I could throw in there, but I'm already using a SCC-1A in my P200 MMX box. My first exposure to what General Midi was supposed to sound like was after I ordered my first Gateway 2000 with the massive, full length ISA-based S-2000 with it's awesome 2MB sample ROM. In some games I still prefer it over Roland GM, but like anything else, it's a matter of personal preference.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5 of 11, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be ideal if someone could create a DOS-only driver package along with the Soundscape-related entries for Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. That way I could just create a disk image and write it to one of the partitions on my USB floppy emulator (which I absolutely love!!).

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No worries 😀

I had a Spea Media FX as a kid once. Totally fell for the Marketing BS. Adlib and MT-32 compatible... Yea right 😁

I knew so little back then...

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need Windows if you have backed up the SNDSCAPE directory and a few files normally installed in the Windows directory. This archive should work. SNDSCAPE.INI and INITSS.BAT may need tweaking.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sf89kihj8yz … 5j/SNDSCAPE.zip

These are the DOS driver files included with the last driver release for Win9x.

Reply 8 of 11, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

You don't need Windows if you have backed up the SNDSCAPE directory and a few files normally installed in the Windows directory. This archive should work. SNDSCAPE.INI and INITSS.BAT may need tweaking.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sf89kihj8yz … 5j/SNDSCAPE.zip

There's the fellow-Wisconsinite I was hoping would chime in here.. Wisconsin's other Ensoniq mega-fan! Thanks, I'll give these a shot.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 10 of 11, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad to report this worked like a charm! Thanks so much for these files - I really forgot how good the GM output of this card really is! Originally I had problems trying to pass the audio from the card into my AWE64, but I realized that I had to enable the LINE-IN using the MIXERSET app. 😀

I also discovered that my Corsair SP2500 2.1 system has a nice little AUX input on the control module, so I can keep my Time Machine under my desk and switch the audio inputs, as well as switch the video input from DVI to Analog on my primary monitor. No more running into the basement to do my retro gaming!

I already got scolded by my wife for letting the DOOM/DOOM2/DESCENT music loop over and over this AM at full blast instead of listening to some Spotify X-Mas playlist..

Merry Ensoniq Christmas to all!

LihnlZ.jpg