VOGONS

First post, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I currently have two CRT monitors (Samsung 957DF and IBM P260) both of which are second hand. I was wondering if there is anywhere in the UK which services monitors, e.g retuning, calibrating etc? The picture isn't aligned as perfectly for both which is annoying. Ideally I would want a new CRT pref. 17" but nobody sells these anymore.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 2 of 5, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

labor to fix them will be too much to be worth it... if you even find someone who can fix it, they will look at you funny.... people can't give away CRTs fast enough, most of them just end up in the dumpster!

Reply 3 of 5, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is I can't find anyplace that sells brand new CRT's. No one makes them anymore..It's becoming rare to find a perfect CRT display.. I would pay £100 for a brand new quality CRT

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 4 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maverick85 wrote:

The problem is I can't find anyplace that sells brand new CRT's. No one makes them anymore..It's becoming rare to find a perfect CRT display.. I would pay £100 for a brand new quality CRT

The analog and digital RGB monitors, its hard to find someone to repair/refurbish it. Its hard to find a replacement in as good working order as the one you are seeking to replace.

With VGA and TV monitors, finding replacements are generally not such a huge issue. But what if you like the monitor you have, know its abilities/limitations/quirks, and just want it not to buzz so loud or the screen to roll at times? I could replace that 17" KDS VGA monitor I have, but I really like the monitor. It displays VGA well, its big and clean, its properly curvy, but it does emit this high-pitched whine from time to time. This probably has something to do with the flyback transformer, but that is not something I can repair/replace.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 5, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some CRTs too that need servicing. One is completely broken, the h-deflection circuitry went up in smoke, and the other has wrong colours and a very slight (but annoying) convergence misalignment. But since repairing these monitors is not very easy (or the other way around, it's very easy to mess things up even more!) and possibly dangerous, I've been putting this off for a while now. I do really want to learn how these things work and how to fix them, though.

@maverick85, keep your eyes open on your local ebay equivalent, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. I'm sure you won't find any new CRTs now, anywhere. And if you do, I think it'll cost quite a bit more than 100GBP.