VOGONS

First post, by snow_sg1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Sorry for bad english, i'm french

I have this old socket 3 motherboard that I'm trying to repair, the battery (old Ni Cd) started to leak years ago, so i remove it. But I never clean the traces and the board continue to be corroded by the battery acid.

Now I've clean the board with vinegar and 90% modified alcohol. I've check the traces and didn't find any that was cut. When I powered the board for the first time, one tental capacitor blew (nice smoke ! 🤣). So i replace it with a brand new one (and the other one which was sitting in it's right for safety reason). Now the board boots, and the bios start it's self test.

BUT the keyboard is not recognized. The led blinks at startup but nothing else ! I've tried with two keyboard, no luck. The keyboards are working on another machine.

The keyboard controller had some corrsion some of it's pin, I cleaned it up but I think it's dead.

I've bought a new one (20€ with shipping 🙁 ), but I don't think it's the same component. The manufacturer is different.

Under the KB controller on the motherboard are the lettering 8042 which is for the intel 8042 µC. The KB controller is a LT38C42 made by Lance Corp and has the mention "Green" under it.

Is anyone has info on this chip or maybe a spare one from a dead motherboard ? 😀

Merry christmas