VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro at Goodwill for $2. It even had the USB dongle, so I bought it. It has this weird little issue though, present in both Win98SE and WinXP:

When connecting it via the gameport, it shows up as having 10 buttons with the 9th button not working. As the stick only has 9 buttons, this is clearly incorrect.
When connecting it via the USB dongle, it shows up correctly with 9 buttons.

Have any other MS Precision Pro owners out there ever noticed this?
It's not really much of a problem, since I can always just plug it in with the USB dongle or just ignore the non-functional 9th button in gameport mode.

Also, MS seems to have pulled their download page for the Sidewinder software.
Does anybody have a good link to the most recent version of the Sidewinder software? From what I can find, it looks like v3.02 was the final version for Win9x.

Thanks! 😀

Edit: For any others who may be looking, I found the MS Sidewinder Software v3.02 here. If you don't want to deal with the silly cnet/download.com installer, there's a direct link to the software here and here.

Reply 1 of 2, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the md5 and sha256 checksums for the Version 3.02 SWGameEN.exe file for those who want to be on the safe side:

/windows/F/Downloads> md5sum SWGameEN.exe
01ca2d81483afa5ac5705c9973183e81 SWGameEN.exe
/windows/F/Downloads> sha256sum SWGameEN.exe
f24b58a9b6ff7ea97fea0d4bfb093d42121ff463777678d3607891887cdbf47a SWGameEN.exe

These checksums were calculated against a copy downloaded directly from Microsoft back in 2003. File size is 6907024 bytes.

Reply 2 of 2, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

akula65,

Thank you! Your hash doesn't match the files I linked at CNET/Download.com. However, they don't seem to be bad though. They seem to be an earlier version of the v3.02 drivers. The digital signature on them is dated 10 August 1998.

The digital signature on the file matching your hash is dated 10 Nov 2000. It can be downloaded here.

For safety's sake, I have chosen to keep the drivers matching your hash.

Thanks again!