VOGONS

Reply 21 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

What's that sitting on top of the ZIP drive?

Floppy drive?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

What's that sitting on top of the ZIP drive?

SuperDisk drive. Rival to the Zip drives back in the day, except these apparently also supported your standard 1.44MB floppies.

By the way, I have this motherboard: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FI … ml#.UscdfPRDtzg

I just installed in a computer case, with a 133MHz Intel Pentium CPU, and it has 32MB of RAM, and an S3 Trio64 PCI card installed... and for some reason, it doesn't want to boot, unless I hit the reboot button after power up? No beep codes, the HDD lamp stayed lit... but when I hit the reboot button, once or twice, it then would boot. Seems to run fine afterwards.

What's the deal?

Reply 24 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Maybe problems with the capacitors?? Did you try an other PSU?

Hmm, could a PSU really cause it to not start up at first, and when it does, it seems to run fine?

I know when I try it with my other graphics cards besides the one I have in it now, I can't seem to get it to boot. I tried an S3 Virge DX, S3 Savage, and an ATI Mach64 (Which I don't know if it works anyway, it never would work on my 486 system.)

I'll try another PSU when I get home though.

Reply 25 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me it's often the RAM. Always my number one part I swap when I have issues 😀

Also a careful inspection of the motherboard with a magnifying glass. Starting around the battery, if it has leaked, and checking every trace for cut-throughs.

Check all caps, are the bulging (round top) or dodgy brands. Especially the really big ones.

My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For me it's often the RAM. Always my number one part I swap when I have issues 😀

Also a careful inspection of the motherboard with a magnifying glass. Starting around the battery, if it has leaked, and checking every trace for cut-throughs.

Check all caps, are the bulging (round top) or dodgy brands. Especially the really big ones.

Well, I tried a different power supply, same results... different RAM... same results again. Inspected the caps, they seem fine. Plus it uses a coin cell battery, and I still see nothing wrong. 😒

With the other pair of RAM it took like... three reset switch presses before it decides to boot.

Here's a picture of the board.
IMG_2518-1000px.jpg

Reply 28 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No overclocking done, but it does use a Intel Pentium 133 - A80502133 CPU...

However I am not sure if the Voltage 1 setting is right...

Raw image of the motherboard, un-resized form: http://reeseriverson.com/rriverson/pics/IMG_2518.JPG

According to what I see... it's currently set to P55C (2.7V-2.9V/3.3V) as a CPU Type, on voltage. One jumper setting away from being on (2.5V/3.3V) setting. I'm not sure which would be right. 😦

Reply 29 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The standard Pentium needs the higher voltage!

Do you have a manual to check the jumpers?

Or use a higher rated chip, like a 200 and run it at 100.

My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No manual, but there are a couple more jumper settings.

Here's all the voltage settings in order... From what is written on the board.

• P54C/STD (3.3V)
  • P54C/VRE (3.4-3.6V)
  • P55C(2.7V-2.9V/3.3V) <- Current set
  • (2.5/3.5)

So then since the CPU calls for 3.3 normal, according to this: www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium/Intel-Pe ... -133).html

Should I set it to the P54C/STD (3.3V) setting?

-Edit-

Huh, this board may be compatible with my Cryix MII-266GP chip...

-Edit 2-

Ah, maybe not, but I found the page that looks more matching to mine: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FI … ml#.Usdw-PRDvXo

And the Pentium I have is a single voltage, right? Looks like the board is currently in dual voltage mode... soooooo...... maybe I should switch it...

Reply 31 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly!

MMX is split voltage, standard MMX just single 3.3V 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 33 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Could it hurt this CPU if the voltage was split like that?

Doubt it, but it might not be stable.

Any luck with the board at 3.3V?

Basically check ALL the jumpers.

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I checked it, and at first it seemed like a no-go, but I tested a couple of other chips which were definitely incompatible with the system, but it booted right off the bat with them... a Cryix MII and a Pentium out of my Packard Bell, which I think is due to the missing four pins... possibly some proprietary thing they did, if I was to take a wild guess. However!

I put the Pentium back in, that was originally in, reset the jumpers, put the fan on, check again, and hit that power button.......... and beep! Display! 😁

So far, it's POSTing every time I turn it on from off, no reboots to try to get it going! Phew, it had me worried at first, but I'm pretty excited!

IMG_2519-800px.jpg

Which means I can finally begin getting things going...

IMG_2520-800px.jpg

Thanks, you helped out! 😀

Reply 36 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the AWE64 Gold installed and drivers in place for both DOS and Windows 3.1. (Yeah, I play favorites with Windows 3.1. 🤣 ). Now I just gotta decide on an ethernet card I have... I have a few 3Coms laying about, but I want to use a PCI one on this system. Got an EtherLink XL PCI (3C900-COMBO) and a EtherLink XL PCI (3C905B-TX) here... any chance at getting either to work in MS-DOS?

GPU shouldn't be hard, since I can nab the drivers from Vogons' driver database...

Then it'd be off to memory management and getting a Voodoo 3DFX card in this too. 😀

Oh yeah, this motherboard has a USB header, any chances at nabbing some USB drivers for this too? I'd love to be able to use USB storage if at all possible for data transfers! 😁

Reply 37 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had USB storage working under W98SE, but no experience with older OSes.

Also I can't help you with networking. Voodoo is also an area I know little about. In general I try to avoid Windows. It always stuffs up for me and I can't use one installation in all my machines. DOS FTW 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well a site had drivers for MS-DOS to have USB support but the link went dead. 🙁

It's alright, and the Voodoo cards I don't need assistance on, since the games I have already have drivers for in-dos. 😀

I tend to want Windows 3.1 due to some games I have for it. Such as SimTower for example. 😁

Reply 39 of 39, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a 75MHz Intel Pentium CPU in the mail today, so I could try it on a motherboard I bought a year or two back with out a CPU. Which didn't seem to want to boot with my 133MHz chip when I tested that, but truth be told with this 75MHz chip! The board lives! 😁

IMG_2567-800px.jpg
IMG_2566-800px.jpg

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/J/J- … ml#.UuMVGRDnYuV

It has 256k of cache, too.