VOGONS

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reading from wikipedia it says VIBRA 16 is a cost reduced model, with no ASP\CSP chip slot, no Bass\Treble control, no WaveBlaster header, and on some models no actual YMF262 chip.

I have a Vibra 16 that has a YMF262 chip on it, is there really no other difference sound wise to a non Vibra 16 and can any other program use it the same way without issues? Since I don't want to feel stupid using this thing otherwise...

I'm building a machine for the sole purpose of using ImpulseTracker on it in MS-DOS 6.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the same with AWE 64 Value and AWE 64 Gold, very little difference in practice (especially on the AWE64's as very few uses the RAM to load soundfonts when everyone have SC55's)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that's a relief... Looks like I'll use this thing after all, much thanks for clarifying.

I hope I can get some sort of MIDI out of it's gameport, since I read online you can make a MIDI interface work though gameports but I'm not sure getting such things going smoothly over DOS.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of Vibra16's with a real OPL3 and think they're a great card, but I shelved them because of the hanging note bug, which all of the Vibras seem to have. So yes you can get MIDI going out of the game port, but be aware that you might get the odd stuck note.

It's not a big deal really and I hope I haven't complicated things unnecessarily, but personally I prefer a CT2230 or CT2290 when I'm in the market for a SB16. But also be aware that creative cards in general have an issue with their MPU interface which causes stuttering in some games, like build engine games, tie fighter, etc.

I have complicated things haven't I? I'm sorry! Hopefully those issues don't impact ImpulseTracker.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not at all. I just think it'd be more convenient to use a MIDI keyboard controller within the tracker but I've been using the usual QWERTY keyboard for it for years so if I can't get MIDI-IN to work at all, oh well. What matters is if I can actually use the SB16 driver it has with it.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have two cards and they work very well. The installation is somewhat easier. Although they don't have jumpers they don't need CTCM. The cards can be easily reconfigured by running DIAGNOSE or whatever that utility is called that ends up in the C:\SB16 folder 😀

Here you can change IRQ and DMA or turn of the MPU401 if you use another one.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 27, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

It's the same with AWE 64 Value and AWE 64 Gold, very little difference in practice (especially on the AWE64's as very few uses the RAM to load soundfonts when everyone have SC55's)

bad analogy
the AWE64 standard, AWE64 value, and AWE64 Gold all do not use the Vibra16 chip, they use the old style CT1745A DSP, but the AWE64 Gold uses the better "SBP" variant and no amplifier (both of which contribute to the better SNR), gimicky gold plated connectors, RCA audio out instead of 3.5mm mini jack, SPDIF output, and 4MB RAM... AWE64 standard has 1MB, and I believe the value has 512k or no RAM, regular 3.5mm mini jack output, normal tin plated connectors, no SPDIF output

there's a big difference between the vibra16 and SB16... the vibra16 is a smaller form factor, is more integrated, designed and works well as on board audio... because it is a newer design, it also has a better SNR (cleaner audio)... yes, there's no treble and bass control, but people don't really miss that when they have good speakers with discrete EQ controls... yes, it is stripped down and doesn't allow you to upgrade... but if you're going to upgrade nowadays, you wouldn't be because you'll just get a better creative ISA card with the features you want and be done with it... it's not the 90s any more where sound cards were expensive and upgrading was an attractive feature

there are some early vibra16 cards that are non-PnP... those are hard to come by because creative didn't make those for long before jumping on the PnP bandwagon... personally, I prefer to avoid ISA PnP or anything PnP from the 90s for that matter because they are a pain to set up right and there's all sorts of configuration headaches because 95/98 is just stupid dealing with them

Reply 7 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The model number on my VIBRA16 is CT2260, and the YMF262 chip says: Yamaha OPL YMF262-M 9502 FABC so I suppose this is a legit OPL3. The DAC for the OPL3 chip is: YAC512-M 504CC

I'm only going to be booting MS-DOS 6 on the machine I'll be putting this in, so does PnP even still matter to me? PnP was a windows deal wasn't it?

I also see three Phillips electronics chips two big ones and a smaller one, I don't suppose these are the gameblaster chips are they?

I would upload a photo of the card but I'm on really awful internet right now...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The configuration procedure differs for true PnP cards in DOS - you have to run the creative PnP config stuff first or DOS won't be able to 'see' the card. From memory it's called CTCM.

Hopefully you won't need that though, my Vibra16's only need a SET BLASTER line, followed by a call to diagnose.exe.

And no, game blaster functionality was long gone by the time these cards were produced.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't be scared by PnP. The prcoedure is not difficult, you need to files from the Creative site: CTCM and SBBASIC

Und INSTALL.EXE from SBBASIC and off it goes.

To change resources you later go into C:\CTCM and run CTCU

I made a video guide about this a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GSYgarPs4

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 27, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Vibra based cards have daughterboard header. CT2940 being one of them.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 12 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While CT2940 is good otherwise (really clean output and some cards have discrete OPL, probably the best of the vibra cards) it unfortunately suffers badly from hanging note issues.

Reply 13 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By hanging notes does this also affect MIDI-IN? since that's all I'm going to attempt to use in impulsetracker, not MIDI-OUT.

If that's the case is there any way I could get a much more reliable MIDI-IN, through the UART on a PC or something? Or do I really need to get a MPU-401?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good question! I'd imagine it'll probably be fine, let us know how you get on.

If it does turn out to be an issue you could get an AWE64 or a Yamaha YMF card, both are cheap bug-free options.

Reply 15 of 27, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Don't be scared by PnP. The prcoedure is not difficult, you need to files from the Creative site: CTCM and SBBASIC […]
Show full quote

Don't be scared by PnP. The prcoedure is not difficult, you need to files from the Creative site: CTCM and SBBASIC

Und INSTALL.EXE from SBBASIC and off it goes.

To change resources you later go into C:\CTCM and run CTCU

I made a video guide about this a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9GSYgarPs4

meh
I'd take a non-PnP SB16 any day... resources are precious in DOS and the last thing I need is to load yet another driver to initialize a PnP card

Reply 16 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I disagree as with PnP you can have several devices in the machine and initialise whatever card you need when you need it. I'm also not sure what resources you talk about. Initialisation <> loading a driver.

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 27, by Lunar07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

I have a couple of Vibra16's with a real OPL3 and think they're a great card, but I shelved them because of the hanging note bug, which all of the Vibras seem to have. So yes you can get MIDI going out of the game port, but be aware that you might get the odd stuck note.

It's not a big deal really and I hope I haven't complicated things unnecessarily, but personally I prefer a CT2230 or CT2290 when I'm in the market for a SB16. But also be aware that creative cards in general have an issue with their MPU interface which causes stuttering in some games, like build engine games, tie fighter, etc.

I have complicated things haven't I? I'm sorry! Hopefully those issues don't impact ImpulseTracker.

The hanging note happens only when you play digital audio and midi at the same time.
Also, the hanging note happens only in certain DSP revesions. DSP 4.11, 4.12, and 4.13
DSP revision can be checked via diagnose.exe in DOS. It will show the revision.

Reply 19 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked everywhere on VOGONS and I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

This may be a stupid newbie question but here it goes...how do I tell what DSP revision my SB card is? Can I tell by just looking at it or will I have to install it and run some program?

Thanks in advance