- add the end of each column a link to the related entry in the original sheet that shows all data
I will just theorize about it, because my sheet is not synchronized with original, you i make no sense to improve it more, unless Phil will decide integrate such view in original sheet. Maybe better solution would be not hide anything, only just move not crucial columns to right after most import columns, which has to be in left before results itself. Link - im not sure if possible use something like links within multiple sheet to point some exact cell by some formula. If someone know to do it in Google sheet, just tell me, i can be handy.
- give overclocked machines at least a mark, like an asterisk. The reason to split it was not that overclocking is evil, it was that comparability of stock systems is better if it is not mixed. Specifically because overclocked systems have often more settings tuned as listed in the simple view. Especially on older computers this can have a dramatical imapct on performance.
Sorry i dont really understand this argument, you telling is that is nothing bad with overclocked results, but you not act like that, i would call it results hypocrisy:) I dont thing that someone is using liquid nitrogen for DOS overclocking. In my view you can identify overclock results by word integrated, in FPU column, which i used instead of Integrated FPU, it was not intentional, but is way how to identify them.
- You are right with Quake CPU vs FPU limited on old systems. However introducing 640x480 means stepping from VGA to SVGA. This means all VGA systems can not run it, where it is mostly a FPU bench. Also there is no data in the current sheet for that.
I dont see anything wrong with optimal columns, lots of columns are already optimal from inserted data, its better to have 1 more optimal column, that have only Quake 320x200 column, where result its not really about video cards for 3/4 of inserted results - optimal columns can you give best of both world. I personally not really care about sum FPS result, new column not need to included, its only small adjustment to change formula how you like.. - for example i would really use only Doom and Quake 640 and 1024 for my personal analysis an which videocard to buy decision.
- Doom alone is a bad choice for VGA performance as it uses ModeX and not the standard modes. The result may not say much about regular VGA performance. Also CPU limited on slower systems.
Its game which defined whole era and forced people to buy faster 486. But tell me other good DOS game with inbuild or 3rd benchmarking option. 3DBENCH2 FPS has lots of Too fast results its not good too.
- When leaving out 3DBench and PCPBench consider renaming the sheet from 'VGA benchmark' to 'Doom/Quake benchmark'.
- It would be also a good opportunity to remove senseless entries, like using FASTVID/MTRRLFBE as performance enhancers on CPUs that don't support it. Like the Pentiums/Mobile Pentiums and/or systems with ISA cards...
Whole 4 benchmarks is still hardly to be fully representative for DOS. In Phils sheet are 4 results from 4 different programs and in my analysis are also 4 results (only 3 from 1 game - Quake). I think that is good to know even that FASTVID/MTRR and others were tested is are not supported on some systems, enhancers are best way how to use HW. In my personal sheet i have results for both with+without enhancers:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … c62b9&mode=html // Now there is some shortage of Zoho, problem with DNS, if its not working try it later, or use workaround google dns - 18.104.22.168
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.