VOGONS

Did I Hit 486 Gold?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea with old machines there a ton of possible causes. Old / faulty cables, dying HDD.

I usually put a few benchmarks on a floppy and start off with a 486DX-33 as baseline. This CPU works on any 486 and once I have a stable system I start trying out other options like the DX2.

Board looks solid. Have fun!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rodimus80 wrote:

Damn fine way to spend $10.

Bargain 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 86, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This should be in Marvin.

keropi wrote:

you also need to clean the area to neutralize any acid on work, vinegar or lemon juice are good easy to find battery-cleaning fluids 🤣

Neutralize acid with an acid?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 25 of 86, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 4 Disk images of MS-DOS 6.22 and I used WinImage to write them to a floppy. During DOS 6.22 install it keeps asking me for DISK 2. Is there a special label that the disk needs?

Reply 26 of 86, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

This should be in Marvin.

keropi wrote:

you also need to clean the area to neutralize any acid on work, vinegar or lemon juice are good easy to find battery-cleaning fluids 🤣

Neutralize acid with an acid?

yep, it works great removing battery acid , I've been using them for years...
here's more on the subject: http://www.ehow.com/way_6059984_do-after-alka … tery-leak_.html , http://oldcomputers.net/corrosion.html , etc etc

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rodimus80 wrote:

I have 4 Disk images of MS-DOS 6.22 and I used WinImage to write them to a floppy. During DOS 6.22 install it keeps asking me for DISK 2. Is there a special label that the disk needs?

Yes there is.

The need to have a label (not label as in stick on the disk, but a label that gives each disk a name). You can do this on Windows (right click > properties) or under DOS with the LABEL command.

What is the correct label? I wish I remember, think it was DISK 1 and DISK 2 and DISK 3.

Alternatively you can follow my installation guide from here:

It's a basic setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=the1xMtK_q4

My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 86, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
It's leaking... you need to remove it ASAP if you don't have any tools just wiggle it left/right and the battery pins will break […]
Show full quote

It's leaking... you need to remove it ASAP
if you don't have any tools just wiggle it left/right and the battery pins will break... then throw the battery to recycling 😀
You will either need to solder a replacement battery or use an external battery connected to the EXT BAT conenctor on the mobo (look at the 4 pins next to the battery, most likely it's them) or you need to do a CR2032 mod or input BIOS settings everytime you boot the machine 🤣

I dont think the battery affacted the motherboard.. Only the battery is in bad shape.. try with caution an side cutter, to cut both legs of that battery, and its off. Whats outs he doesnt damaged the printed ciruit board.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 29 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah it keeps eating away unless you deal with any leftovers.

My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 86, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having trouble with your Guide. You are using a Compact Flash Card to move data around. That option is not avaliable for me. I have a few floppy disks around. I was able to install MS-DOS 6.22 with the initial boot disk but I still get an error with it not finding my cd-rom. I tried to copy the autoexec and config files onto a floppy and copy them over but [copy autoexec.bat] is not working.

Reply 32 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To copy from the floppy to c: you type:

copy autoexec.bat c:

Same with the config sys.

After this you should have the boot menu, working CD drive and working mouse if it's plugged in.

My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rodimus80 wrote:

I am typing that command but it keeps saying file not found. When I check the floppy using dir /a I see it.

Ah the files might be hidden.

Type

attrib

To see if they have flags like s for system, r for read only, h for hidden.

You remove them by typing

attrib -h autoexec.bat

I might have to fix that 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rodimus80 wrote:

I was able copy over the autoexec and config but cd-rom is still failing to load. I have no idea what the configurations are for it.

rodimus80 wrote:

I was able copy over the autoexec and config but cd-rom is still failing to load. I have no idea what the configurations are for it.

Did the CD drive load with that MS-DOS 6.22 bootdisk?

If NOT, then there are a ton of possible causes:

CD-Rom is not an IDE drive
IDE cable plugged in wrong
No power
CD drive dead
Jumpers on CD drive
Jumpers on HDD

I would try:

Set CD-ROM to Master through jumpers. Check the cable orientation. Red wire goes to pin 1 on CD-ROM and IDE controller.

Only have floppy and CD-ROM attached. Boot from boot-disk.

Don't have the HDD at this point.

You need to add things one by one. Otherwise too many variables.

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 86, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to DOS 😀

Yea it looks like it's a non-IDE drive and uses that extra IDE card. Got any IDE drives lying around?

My YouTube channel