VOGONS

Did I Hit 486 Gold?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 86, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Time flies when you are having 'fun'. I guess it is especially true for working with 486 machines. I don't have any myself...

rodimus80 wrote:

If it was your PC, would you dual boot Windows 95 and DOS 6.22? Or just stick with Windows 95? Bear in mind I have a few Pentium III machines to handle anything the Pentium II couldn't. And to top off what I consider retro, are my AthlonXP machines.

No, Just hit the F8 key at boot and go to DOS 7. Every Windows 95 or 98 install comes with DOS 7 behind the scenes.
If you don't want to use F8 every time, edit MSDOS.SYS as explained here. http://winmac.mvps.org/win95dos.html

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 82 of 86, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
orinoko wrote:

I find that CTMOUSE tends to default to a non serial mouse if it can't find anything... and that can cause issues. I ended up just running 'ctmouse /S1 /Y' on my machines which forces it to just check COM1 for a serial mouse and if it finds it, it sets it up, else it fails.

I've ran that command. Shoots back with Error: device not found. I am using a Serial Adapter with a PS/2 2-button & wheel Microsoft mouse on COM1.

Reply 85 of 86, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rodimus80 wrote:

I got two and both fail. I'll have a real Serial Mouse tomorrow. I don't foresee any problems there hopefully.

Yeah the command will fail if it cannot find a serial compatible mouse on COM1... in this case your PS/2 mouse may not be capable of accepting serial data. Good luck with the real serial mouse! Hopefully all works out in the end.

Reply 86 of 86, by rodimus80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a Q500 Serial Mouse. Really cool. Requires a special mousepad to work. Strange but effective. And no ball! I've also thrown in a 2nd HDD into a Gateway G6-333 and installed DOS 6.22. That is also working great. So I think at this point I have all my bases covered for 20 years of PC gaming! Couldn't have done it without the help of this forum. Cheers!