VOGONS

First post, by TheAdmiralty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy!

I've been looking for the next addition to my ISA sound card collection - I could always pick up another Sound Blaster, but where's the fun in that?

I ran into this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-Speech-Echo-DSP- … =item3a7c5b39db
...and I've never even heard of it. Analogue devices made a MIDI Synth under that branding? Huh. It's down to either that card, an IBM M-Wave, or a Mediavision ProAudio Studio-16 - I probably wont be going with the MV just because I'd like to have another Wavetable Synth, and the Studio-16 only did Wavetable through a daughterboard which isn't included. There will always be more M-Waves out there on eBay.

Has anyone ever seen that card in person and/or heard of it in the first place? I'm probably going to pick one up just to see how it works, but the TeleWave Audio32 has taught me that sometimes things are forgotten for good reason. I'd really like to find a recording sample from it, but it looks like I'll have to make them myself in a couple weeks. Any thoughts?

He took out his hip flask when he reached the page that described how he reached the page that made him take out his hip flask.

Reply 1 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This has been asked about a few times already. That seller has had those cards for sale on ebay for a long time. If they were anything special, I'm sure the community would have bought them all up pretty quickly. That they haven't sold out after all this time says a lot.

Reply 2 of 5, by TheAdmiralty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mmm... guess I've not been around here long enough to have seen anything on them. It's probably true... I might just toss the $30 into funding for a Roland SC-88 instead, though its always nice to have something else you can just stick in an ISA slot. 😀 I didn't realize they'd been up there for so long; I always check back on eBay every few days for anything interesting and sort it by 'Newly Listed' - looks like I just happened to hit it shortly after being relisted.

He took out his hip flask when he reached the page that described how he reached the page that made him take out his hip flask.

Reply 3 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

This has been asked about a few times already. That seller has had those cards for sale on ebay for a long time. If they were anything special, I'm sure the community would have bought them all up pretty quickly. That they haven't sold out after all this time says a lot.

well although it may not be something special, it looks good and would actually meet my interest of collection, $20 is not a lot of money either. however its just not worthy the international shipping and bothering which is a lot more than the price. 😖

Reply 4 of 5, by TheAdmiralty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I went ahead and ordered one - I agree... it's worth $20 to just for collection purposes. I've never even heard of half the chips on that thing. It sure is unique, that's for sure.

Should be here sometime in the coming week. I wish I could make out the markings on those memory chips to get a little better idea of what exactly this thing's going to be capable of. Being an off-brand wavetable synth from ~1993-94, I don't have high expectations, but we'll just have to see. Expect some recording samples sometime in the near future. 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by fire-phoenix-fire

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your're wrong, this card is nothing special and the chips are also very known!

Look on an "Orchid Soundwave 32" and realize, that it's the same...

But if you have bought one, I'm interested in the drivers, because the Orchid card didn't have some good ones for win95.
In general the drivers should be different, because the "setup guide" says nothing about MT-32 compatibility, like the Soundwave 32.
Perhaps the drivers can help the Soundwave 32 to sound better 🤣

(If the postage and taxes aren't that high, I had already bought one because of the drivers or the chance of a better soundwave 32 (I like the concept of the card))